C2C in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The event starts from Seascale on Saturday morning (first riders will be leaving from about 1/2 past sillyl, just as the sun is coming up). Most people travel up to Seascale on the Friday afternoon, and either camp or B&B the Friday night.

My train leaves at 13.30......

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah ... That makes sense!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
What a fantastic day it was yesterday, 150 miles from west coast to east coast (Seascale to Whitby) , the weather was kind and the feed stations even kinder, especially feed station no 4 that was complete with pies. Over all it was 12 Hours of Cycling , 10 minutes to fix a puncture and 2 Hours of feed station eating yum yum, sort of a day of eating with cycling in-between (total of 12,309 calories used up and no idea how many consumed but it will have been a fair amount) , all to be topped of by a fantastic steak in the hotel as my eyes started to close and the bed was calling my name.

Oh and Hardnott Pass is not a road its a wall with grass each side, i truly take my hat off to anyone who has cycled up that without walking, and oh how glad am i it was dry to come down the decent, steep now has a whole new meaning
Fantastic route and for anyone wanting to do this event i would give it a 10/10, easily the best sportive i have been on by a country mile
DSC02457.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Only another 7 days to go before you can sign up for next years event........Wonder if I'll have forgotten just how brutal the lake district was by then?

Oh, and whoever it was who ordered the headwind..... please report for immediate termination - thank you.

Big Nick

I was in Whitby the other day when the finishers were coming in and couldn't believe how fast some were finishing, my legs would be like lead!!

I'd really love to do this ride but to be honest my longest is 81 miles on a flattish route and after that I was all in so I think this is beyond me for a good while!

Very well done to all who finished!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Only another 7 days to go before you can sign up for next years event........Wonder if I'll have forgotten just how brutal the lake district was by then?

Oh, and whoever it was who ordered the headwind..... please report for immediate termination - thank you.

Ive done It once and that's enough for me.
I had no problems and still had plenty of go in the legs at the end, its just if I did it again I would have every hill and mountain in my mind before I even got to them.

Sadly in these times trust has gone, so far on the Facebook C2C page I have heard of 3no Garmins taken off bikes at the stops, so I bet there were a lot more that are not on Facebook that had there's nicked as well.

It was not a Local as it was three different feed stations.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
That has happened since time began I'm afraid. We just get better informed of the afters.
Its horrendous when you naturally get caught when your guard is lower, I know from experience.

Well done guys. Even though I got my T2W done the other Sunday, that one looks a good bit beyond me now.
That rush down into Whitby is a thrill way to finish.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That has happened since time began I'm afraid. We just get better informed of the afters.
Its horrendous when you naturally get caught when your guard is lower, I know from experience.
Not with Garmins, it hasn't - they didn't have them way back then! :laugh:

Bloody thieves!

I rode the 'Mere 200' audax once and overheard a couple of riders at the finish talking about a bike being stolen from outside event HQ the year before. I promptly went outside and brought my bike indoors!

There are lots of reports of bikes being nicked from outside cyclists' cafes.

Steve H

Large Member
Has @Steve H finished yet ...? :whistle:
Yep!

Great day on a bike. Probably the best event I've ever ridden. Pricy at £60, but felt it was value for money. Four really well stocked food stations on the route plus another at the finish. None of this half a banana each rubbish - simply help yourself to as much as you want. Use of changing and showers at Whitby Leisure Centre was a really welcome finish.

Route was well signed and mostly off the busy A roads. Trip on the ferry across Windamere was a nice novelty.

Leodis

Veteran
Right signed up for C2C in a day for 2015 with my club, I think there is 32 of us officially booked but others have signed up on their own.

The training has started... Any tips or advice from Vets of this would be rewarded with a place in heaven.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Lose 20lbs + Learn to ride up walls. :smile:

Or more seriously.......
Book somewhere to stay in Seascale NOW, unless you want to camp.

Don't rely on being able to take your bike on the train unless it's bagged up. This year there were about 20 people left on the platform at Lancaster cos the local train to Seascale only allows a couple of bikes (to be fair there were 4+ bikes on before they stopped any more).

It starts off stupidly hilly, has some more big hills in the middle and ends with some more steep bits - but don't worry the last 5 miles is downhill :smile:
Make sure you've done at least a couple of long hilly rides (60 - 100 miles) in the months going up to the event.

Unless you want a trip in a helicopter, go easy on the descents of Hardknott and Wrynose. They're silly steep and a long way from anywhere.

Enjoy it. It's a brilliant day out, and very well supplied/organised. I've done it the last 2years but I'm giving it a miss next year due to other commitments. I'll be back for 2016 though all being well.

Leodis

Veteran
Thanks a lot, got my B&B's sorted both ends and will be getting a bus with the club there. The 1st thing I need to do is like you say loose 21lbs and through winter work on hills as well as keeping my fitness up, next step longer rides like you say, got Kidstones 113miler and Stage 1 in early spring to do. Thanks for the help

Top Bottom