C2C in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was tempted by this, until I saw the T&C where they insist on helmets.

400bhp

Guru
A few of us are looking to do a charity version of this - might not be with the organised ride though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A few of us are looking to do a charity version of this - might not be with the organised ride though.

We are.

I also need to get miles in as I was somewhat sore (knees) after 120 miles on the Manchester 100, and I did ride to work next day, but another 140 miles home after the CTC we plan - I think I need many more longer runs. (If only I could ride at the minute) :ohmy:

Rayvon

Been looking at this, bit pricey. Wondered if anyone had completed it before with this company as first time I've heard of them. Dont wanna shell out the money and be left on the west coast.

Steve H

Large Member
Kestavan did it this year with a mate. From what I heard all was good with the organising company. Tough challenge though with some pretty steep hills early on. I know they are going for a repeat performance next year with the same company. I'll hopefully join them this time round!

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yeah, I rode this in June.

The whole event was extremely well organised, from the initial "park and ride" transfer from Penrith onwards. The overnight location was rather windswept but everyone associated with the event was helpful, friendly and knew their stuff.

The ride organisation was faultless, the route picked its way across (mainly over) some beautiful countryside, largely on quiet well chosen minor roads which were faultlessly signposted. Feed stations were well spaced, approx every 40 miles. and very well stocked with a wide range of excellent food. We were by no means in the vanguard of riders, and there was never any danger of a poorly stocked feed.

We arrived in Whitby 150 miles and 13hrs after we set off, knackered but having enjoyed it immensely. The finish line stayed open till the last rider crossed (19hours after the start) so no-one was left behind.

Overnight "camping" was available in the sports hall at Whitby leisure centre, and the buss took us back to Penrith on the Sunday morning with no drama.

However.... there was a couple of minor things that could have been better.

The camping area at the start was less than ideal; the school sports field was rather exposed on the hilltop above Seascale, and the next field had a ruddy great wind turbine roaring away all night - not the best preparation.

Food provision at the start was OK, but not brilliant. The catering van had pre-boxed pasta and chilie type food, but relied on a single microwave to heat these up - not ideal when 100+ people get off a bus looking for hot food. There wasnt a great deal of alternatives in Seascale and the whole place appeared to be shut at 9pm.

Final sleeping arrangements in Whitby were OK - although the bloody seagulls stamping about on the roof at 5am was less than ideal :smile:
Given the preponderance of cheap B&Bs in Whitby I think next time I'll be booking a more comfortable bed for the Saturday night.

On the whole though a cracking event. Everyone I spoke to during and after the event enjoyed themselves and the general consensus was that the event was worth the entry fee. All being well I'm planning on riding again next year.

Rayvon

Cheers Kestavan, thanks for the detailed insight. I was thinking of booking b&b in Whitby, think I'll need some decent rest afterwards.

Rayvon

Now that would be something to aim for! Not sure I could do it, though, even with training.

Im sure theres plenty more feel that way but as you say its something to aim for. Itll be my first after just starting cycling again late last year. Im dreading it and looking forward to it. Need lots of hill practise I presume.

aerobrain

Über Member
Might be a daft question but do you have to camp their the night before or do you think there are B&B's local enough to use?

Seriously contemplating this for next year!!

Top Bottom