C2C in a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
There are a few B&B's in Seascale....... but AFAIK the vast majority were booked up about 20 minutes after they confirmed next years date.
There are probably others further out - it really depends on your definition of "local".

At the other side of the country Whitby has a wide selection of B&B's. Look for one on the north shore near the sports centre.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
After Seascale, Look at B&Bs in Drigg, Gosforth, Holmrook. After that they are getting a bit far out (Egremont is probably 35-40 mins ride, Whitehaven a bit over an hour*)

*Both these assume that you take the Sellafield cycle path which is more like single-track than road.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
SIgned up again.

As has @IG88 despite the fact his final words on crossing the finish line last year were "Thank F%^K that's over. Never again" :smile:

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
To anyone considering this event I'd say - go for it.

Despite this being billed as a "sportive" the atmosphere was more akin to an Audax, there was no pressure to ride like a tw@ and the vast majority of riders were friendly, and appeared to view the whole thing as a challenge rather than a "race".

Yes, 150 miles is a long way, and there are some extremely lumpy bits in the route (I've never been as glad to leave the lake district..... but the Dales and North Yorks hills are not to be sneezed at either). Having said that, you can always walk up the steepest bits - you wont be alone I can assure you, and the sense of achievement when you finish is tremendous.

Last years event sold out by xmas, and there were a number of people who failed to get a place. I suspect that this years will fill up even sooner. I've signed on again, and now have 8 months or so to do what I failed at last year i.e. Lose some weight and get better at hills :smile:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just signed up today after seeing a post on facebook by the organizers (may be bluffing to get sales) that only 50 places left apart from ones held back for clubs and group bookings.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Individual entries are now closed....... bloody hell, they didn't take long to go.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I was all for booking into nice hotels but one of our Team has booked us all into Youth hostels for the night before and at the end, I have rebelled and got a cracking Hotel in Whitby (Bar and Restaurant ready and waiting) rather than share a room with 6 sweaty blokes.

Looking at the route I would guess we will be on a 12.5mph average, so with a Cpl of stops that would make it just over 13hrs, deep joy

aerobrain

Über Member
Bought myself a new Garmin Edge 510 to help me train for the event!! NOt that it will actually help, but it will make me feel happier having a new toy :-)

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I was all for booking into nice hotels but one of our Team has booked us all into Youth hostels for the night before and at the end, I have rebelled and got a cracking Hotel in Whitby (Bar and Restaurant ready and waiting) rather than share a room with 6 sweaty blokes.

Looking at the route I would guess we will be on a 12.5mph average, so with a Cpl of stops that would make it just over 13hrs, deep joy

Havent sorted out hotels at Whitby yet. Lots to chose from tho :smile:

Last year it took us 13.5hrs - although we did spent 30 minutes at the side of the road helping some poor unfortunate repair the 2" gash in the side of his tyre.

The first 1/3 of the ride is really tough - the lakeland hills really reduce avarage speed.
The middle secion is easier - the path through the Dales is hilly but not to the same extent, and theres a nice flat 25 miles through the vale of york to build up some speed.
The last section is a b'stard though. The North Yorks moors are very lumpy, and the final couple of hills when you've nothing left in the legs are sheer hell.

Last 2 miles are downhill tho - so that's alright. :smile:

Top Bottom