C2C - luggage service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My pal and I fancy doing the C2C some time late summer when we've got holidays to use up. But we don't want to carry luggage - does anybody know of a service that carries your bag from YHA to YHA for you?

Must depend on distance (I would have thought).

local taxi company ?

4 years ago I sent camping kit by courier from Hertfordshire to Pitlochry. Wife & I were on motorbike, hotelling on the way and didn't fancy carrying the kit as well. Wasn't really light weight but fine for motorised 2 wheeler 2-up; 2-person tent, matresses, sleeping bags, stove, cooking gear, folding stools etc.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks. After typing this question it occurred to me that if we were doing the 2 car bit before and after the ride, we could also drop pre-packed bags containing everything we needed at the 2 YHAs we would be using along the route, then collect them when doing the car bit again at the end.

andym

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
Thanks. After typing this question it occurred to me that if we were doing the 2 car bit before and after the ride, we could also drop pre-packed bags containing everything we needed at the 2 YHAs we would be using along the route, then collect them when doing the car bit again at the end.

erm but then what do you do? Come back by car to pick up the stuff?

There are at least two companies offering baggage transfer services.

Packhorse are the best known (or at least the ones I'd heard of):

http://www.c2cpackhorse.co.uk/

but there are also these guys:

https://www.sherpavan.com/default.asp

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes. We live down in Lancs so would need to drop a car at Tynemouth then drive across to St Bees and leave another car. On the way we could drop bags at two YHAs, then on the return trip we recover the bags. Long-winded I know but probably the cheapest solution.

You could always get the train. The Transpennine express will take you back to Manc from Ncl and you don't need to book bikes on. You can also get to the start - Whitehaven usually - by train via carlisle.

Regarding your luggage, when we did LEJOG, one of the things we did was leave supplies at certain places where we were staying en route. We rang up first, and then either dropped them off by hand or posted them. They were B&Bs/hotels though but were very obliging. We made sure we asked though.

To be honest, if you're doing it in 3 days, you could probably get away with a seatpost mounted bag on your road bike. You're only going to need basic toiletries and a small bottle of handwash liquid to do your riding clothes each night, your usual tools (put these in a second bottle mount in your frame), and some light clothes for the evening. Don't bother with a second pair of shoes - just wear the ones you ride in and a T-shirt / lightweight trousers can roll up pretty small.

hubbike

I would recommend that if you are staying in youth hostels you don't need a bag. just a puncture repair kit and and a credit card and you are laughing. It takes creativity to leave things behind.

Change of Clothes? Just wear the same clothes all the time.
Towel? Just use the sheets in the youth hostel.

With the money you save you can treat yourself to a slap up dinner!

Brains

Legendary Member
I did the C2C and B&B'ed it.

The weight of the gear required is not really an issue, we had a pair of half filled panniers each, at a pinch I'm sure we could have done it with a single pannier for both of us.

Sherpavan are one of the good companies that do the C2C, but ther are several others.

As for the double car issue, don't bother. Get the train from Newcastle to Whitehaven, we found no need to book, just turned up and went.

bigtoe

Über Member
I dont know about the journey to whitehaven, but i had a bird from newcastle i used to go and visit on the coach from blackpool, maybe they might take bikes in their large luggage compartment if thats any use.

To be honest, if you're doing it in 3 days, you could probably get away with a seatpost mounted bag on your road bike. You're only going to need basic toiletries and a small bottle of handwash liquid to do your riding clothes each night, your usual tools (put these in a second bottle mount in your frame), and some light clothes for the evening. Don't bother with a second pair of shoes - just wear the ones you ride in and a T-shirt / lightweight trousers can roll up pretty small.

Im hoping to do this over 2 days in summer with just a saddle bag i was going to ask if this was feesable but no need now. thanks Kirstie.:angry:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
bigtoe said:
I dont know about the journey to whitehaven, but i had a bird from newcastle i used to go and visit on the coach from blackpool, maybe they might take bikes in their large luggage compartment if thats any use.

It's a bit of a lottery using bus services as it's up to the driver whether or not your bike get transported.

The train is the best bet and there's no need to book on the local trains between Whitehaven and Carlisle and Carlisle and Newcastle.

Top Bottom