C2W advice required...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
I thought the fair market value only applies to the bike not the extras, although I could be wrong but they cannot give a fair market value for accessories.

BSRU

A Human Being
Seems I am wrong, maybe, as usual not very clear advice from HMRC.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21667a.htm

"In calculating the original price of the cycle, include safety equipment fitted to the cycle (such as lights and bells) but not safety equipment which would be worn by the cyclist (such as helmets or reflective clothing). Where used regularly for commuting and/or travel between workplaces, safety equipment worn by the cyclist is likely to have a market value that is lower than the table percentages for a cycle and cycle-based safety equipment."

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Dear lovely HR peeps.

I take it none of you are members of the scheme or cycle to work.

I've taken advice.

I, and m'learned friends, contend I owe you 12% of £600+17% of £750+25% of £300 and a cheque for that amount is enclosed in full and final settlement.

Now when can I get my new bike?

CoG

BSRU

A Human Being
What's unclear about that? If it's fixed to the bike it's allowable - if it isn't then it's not allowable. Simples!
I think it states anything attached the bike is to be included in the fair value for the bike but anything else is not and would have a fair value less than if it were included with the cost of the bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is why I prefer to simply buy the years outgoing model at a huge discount (often around 40%!) for cash and have outright ownership from day 1 without having to jump through hoops and argue the toss with disinterested bureaucrats that are only interested in generating further paperwork to secure their own jobs.

I mean, you can buy a bike from a supplier they approve, for a sum they give consent to, at list price, at a time of year that suits them and repay the advance on their terms or,.....

You can buy the bike you want from a supplier you choose at a price you are happy to pay and at a time that you want it. It's a no brainer really (and I do have easy access to C2W with my employer).

400bhp

Guru
Why do you want to buy the bikes now?

Is there a zero cost of transfer of ownership after 5 years for example?

400bhp

Guru
This is why I prefer to simply buy the years outgoing model at a huge discount (often around 40%!) for cash and have outright ownership from day 1 without having to jump through hoops and argue the toss with disinterested bureaucrats that are only interested in generating further paperwork to secure their own jobs.

I mean, you can buy a bike from a supplier they approve, for a sum they give consent to, at list price, at a time of year that suits them and repay the advance on their terms or,.....

You can buy the bike you want from a supplier you choose at a price you are happy to pay and at a time that you want it. It's a no brainer really (and I do have easy access to C2W with my employer).

It depends on the scheme fella. Some will put lots of stipulations, some won't. For example, some will just give you a voucher to buy whatever you and the shop (of your choice on a long list of suppliers) decide.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It depends on the scheme fella. Some will put lots of stipulations, some won't. For example, some will just give you a voucher to buy whatever you and the shop (of your choice on a long list of suppliers) decide.

I know some scheme supporters have a big choice on the supplier but I have yet to hear of a C2W scheme retailer that will supply at less than list price under the C2W scheme. It just puzzles me that people will tie themselves into an unnecessary commitment like C2W when they can often get the same financial benefit by shopping around and getting a good deal?

400bhp

Guru
I know some scheme supporters have a big choice on the supplier but I have yet to hear of a C2W scheme retailer that will supply at less than list price under the C2W scheme. It just puzzles me that people will tie themselves into an unnecessary commitment like C2W when they can get the same financial benefit by shopping around and getting a good deal?

Mine did fella, on three occasions of purchasing a bike on the scheme each one would have allowed me to purchase a discounted bike.

I didn't but that's because i am an impatient so and so and wanted a bike yesterday.:whistle:

The supplier shouldn't give a feck what you spend your money on, in particular when it's a competitive environment where a purchaser can choose from a long list of suppliers.

Top Bottom