C2W issues with bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hi
I recently got a bike through the C2W scheme & under the terms of the agreement I am hiring the bike for 12 months. My dilemma is that due to a number of issues the bike has been returned for attention & I have been without the use of it for 7 weeks now. It was due to be returned today, but after waiting in all day it hasn't arrived :angry:
I complained last week about length of time it had taken to 'repair' & have been offered £50 voucher to spend with the supplier. My weekly payments are over £20, so have paid over £140 to hire a bike I can use/ dont have.
Has anyone been in a similar situation & managed to get payments refunded? Any advice?
TIA

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi
I recently got a bike through the C2W scheme & under the terms of the agreement I am hiring the bike for 12 months. My dilemma is that due to a number of issues the bike has been returned for attention & I have been without the use of it for 7 weeks now. It was due to be returned today, but after waiting in all day it hasn't arrived :angry:
I complained last week about length of time it had taken to 'repair' & have been offered £50 voucher to spend with the supplier. My weekly payments are over £20, so have paid over £140 to hire a bike I can use/ dont have.
Has anyone been in a similar situation & managed to get payments refunded? Any advice?
TIA
I very much doubt you would get any payments refunded, as your employee has to recoup their upfront payment for your bike, through the 12mth agreement. Its the same if you have a bank loan to buy a car, but it needs to go in for service/repair, the bank wouldnt then refund loan payments while the car is under said repair

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I very much doubt you would get any payments refunded, as your employee has to recoup their upfront payment for your bike, through the 12mth agreement. Its the same if you have a bank loan to buy a car, but it needs to go in for service/repair, the bank wouldnt then refund loan payments while the car is under said repair
Its not a loan agreement though, its a hire agreement. If you hired a car & it was off the road for 6 weeks, you wouldn't expect to pay for it? The scheme i'm in our company doesn't pay anything upfront, the scheme provider stands the costs.

How long had you the bike befote having to return it for servicing?

I got the bike on 21st June, had a couple of issues which were sorted locally, but then after further problems the supplier arranged to collect the bike at the beginning of September. It's a shimano Alfine hub & tbh i dont think it's been right from day 1 :sad:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The bikes finally been returned today. Courier left it on doorstep while we were out :blush:
They haven't addressed all the issues I had. Upon taking it out of box I checked rear wheel & there is still excessive play between hub & axle. Not setting it up yet incase they haven't addressed problem with gears either. But in addition to my original problems I now have scratched bars, ripped bar tape & a badly scratched seat post :cursing: Why they even had to raise the seatpost to fix a rear wheel is beyond me, but surely any bike mechanic worth his/her salt can lift a seatpost up without resorting to twisting it all the way up!

fancy naming and shaming the supplier? sounds like you're having a nightmare! I took my bike back for its free 6 week service at J.E. James and they did it for me whilst i browsed the shop. Couldn't complain at all even threw me a free puncture kit and some pedals when i bought it as i had to ride it from the shop home. Ready for another service now which i don't mind paying for. My C2W scheme is 18months and monthly deductions i pay nowhere near £20 a week, i guess you used the whole £1000 allowance?

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's Cycle Solutions, which is part of/same as Wheelies. I have free legal cover under my union membership so may take the matter up with them if I get no joy myself with CS Would happily take sending the bike back & having my payments so far returned & call it a day with it. I have no confidence in them sorting these issues out now :sad:

my mate just got a bike from wheelies on 0% finance and they were great to be fair. Rang him after the order was placed and confirmed it then said we'll assemble tomorrow and ship for the day after. He's now done 300miles and loving it. Seems like your very unfortunate mate, worth enquiring about what you can do but i'm sure there is no backing out once you sign the contract with your employer.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not sure its just me being unfortunate, a few at work have had problems. Probably worst of all was one guy who had a loose bottom bracket. He got the bike just before we did the C2C so hadn't done more than 20 miles & on day 1 of the C2C his cranks were coming loose, so found a local bike shop as we did not have a BB tool with us & it wasn't even finger tight when checked.
When they called to say my bike was ready last week I asked the guy what work had been done, he went away & then came back with " it's been fixed & tested ok" i would have rather had a list of jobs that had actually been done for my piece of mind :blush:

SWSteve

Guru
The work that as being done, who arranged this? and did you speak to your scheme provider? I would expect they should be able to help you - it's their property that is being trashed, not yours.

What scheme is it OOI?

valid point that its your employers property, so it should be in their best interest to make sure the bike is safe, but my contract states the bike is my responsibility to maintain throughout the repayments so technically its not for your employer to resolve.

vickster

Legendary Member
The work that as being done, who arranged this? and did you speak to your scheme provider? I would expect they should be able to help you - it's their property that is being trashed, not yours.

What scheme is it OOI?
Says cycle solutions a couple of posts above yours :smile:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member

What scheme is it OOI?

My employer doesn't seem too keen to get involved, just directing me back to Cycle solutions/Wheelies. The work was done by CS. They collected the bike 6 weeks ago & finally returned it yesterday in a state:sad:

valid point that its your employers property, so it should be in their best interest to make sure the bike is safe, but my contract states the bike is my responsibility to maintain throughout the repayments so technically its not for your employer to resolve.
I agree it is my responsibility to maintain, but if I have issues under warranty it's the suppliers responsibility. to rectify these. I am reasonably handy now at fixing things bike related, but a hub gear is beyond me, apart from adjusting & setting up, hence why it went back

Peteaud

Veteran
Reject the goods.

Contact them and say that you are rejecting the goods under the sale of goods act, it is not fit for purpose.

I would also photograph the damage and email this to them.

Don,t lose your rag with who is on the phone tho.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Reject the goods.

Contact them and say that you are rejecting the goods under the sale of goods act, it is not fit for purpose.

I would also photograph the damage and email this to them.

Don,t lose your rag with who is on the phone tho.

Does the sale of goods act apply to something you are only hiring? Still awaiting further response from CS, but may call trading standards on Monday to see where I stand.
Damage photographed & emailed, but it doesnt look as bad on the photos as in the flesh
I haven't lost my rag on the phone yet, I'm a very patient person, but my patience is fast running out with CS

Top Bottom