C2W scheme - bike trashed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
Last November got right hooked by a car and my lovely 10 month old Cycle To Work steel framed bike is a write-off. This month should be my last payment after which I can pay a deposit or return it. I've lawyer'd up so will be claiming the cost of replacement. Does the fact the bike is on HP have any bearing on my claim?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It shouldn't do

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You don't own the bike.

"Who actually owns the bike?
The bike and equipment remain the property of the employer throughout the hire period, unless the employer uses a finance company to fund the bikes; in this case the finance company or funding bank will own the bikes."

Since you've already got a lawyer on the case I'd recommend you take his advice rather than that of some bloke off t'internet.
GC

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Last November got right hooked by a car and my lovely 10 month old Cycle To Work steel framed bike is a write-off. This month should be my last payment after which I can pay a deposit or return it.
I guess the final payment will be quite low then considering the condition :thumbsup:
Hope you're in better nick than the bike after the crash though

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
what does the contract or your scheme provider say about it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
As GC says, the bike isn't yours, so I'd talk to your CTW scheme provider first, and your lawyer second.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How can you claim from someone else the cost of a replacement something that you didn't own at the time it got broken? The bike wasn't yours even if it is or what remains of it is, after you've paid the final payment. Now you may get away with it if the drivers insurers are bored and it is a cheap bike but if they've nowt else to do and you're claiming a bundle you may find that they get lawyered up to and your lawyer has brought a knife to a gun fight.

This is why we strongly advise all our scheme members to get insurance for the bikes they rent.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
@Soltydog I'm getting too old to be bouncing down roads. It's my second right-hook in just over 3 years. Gfd says I've one more and then I have to call it a day! :sad:
Hopefully there will be no more ! You could go for a few left hooks if you are in credit with those :boxing: Hope you are healing well both physically and mentally as any accident can affect you in different ways.

Top Bottom