CAAD 13 Ultegra with rim vs 105 with disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It can rain in summer too and potentially heavily and unexpectedly
That's true but at least you don't have salty grit on the road turning the rain water into a very effective grinding paste!

I find that rim brakes work okay in the wet once the blocks skim the rims free of water after a rev or two of the wheels, and provided that you don't let a greasy/oily film build up on the rims over several rides - keep them clean.

Reactions: DSK

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks Colin. I am planning to use the bike in the indoor with a trainer in the winter. In this case rim are much better and suited for me.
If rim brakes are much better and suited for you why consider the 105 disc bike?

D

Deleted member 23692

I am planning to use the bike in the indoor with a trainer in the winter. In this case rim are much better and suited for me.
I can't see why you think rim brakes are better for indoor training.

vickster

Legendary Member
just find that fact after the gentleman explain that to me. I was not aware of it
Rim brakes aren't better in the dry, and disc brakes aren't worse. It's just disc brakes are maybe not necessary in dry weather, wet weather is where they can be beneficial (but plenty of people get on fine with rim brakes in all weathers, me included).

Disc brakes are becoming more common so may provide some degree of future proofing vs rim brakes (not that they'll ever become obsolete). Disc brakes may be more of a benefit if you sell on, more so than Ultegra (which is just a nice to have for some over 105, like some may prefer a Mercedes over a Lexus or whatever)

rivers

How far can I go?
My bike with the best braking is my tiagra equipped CX bike. Provided I keep the shifting indexed, and drivetrains clean and maintained, I can't tell the difference between 4700 tiagra, 5800 105, or 6800 ultegra.

DRM

Guru
The type of brake fitted has absolutely no bearing on being used on the turbo trainer, I would go with discs too as you don't brake when on the turbo, just allow the trainer & bike wheel coast to a stop on a "wheel on" trainer, I have recently got a Tiagra 4700 equipped bike, which is noticeably smoother shifting than my other Tiagra 4600 equipped bike, and seems quality wise to be as good as 105, but is 10 speed, rather than 11, I think discs will future proof your purchase.

Daninplymouth

Where are you getting these prices from? Caad13 disc Ultegra is showing as £2400.
From memory when I bought mine, 105 disc should be £1900ish I had 105 rim and that was £1600.
Iv since sold mine to get a disc frame.
another thing if you buy a decent set of wheels, then decide to change bikes, if your new one has discs which most do now I’d say then your rim wheel set is useless

vickster

Legendary Member
Where are you getting these prices from? Caad13 disc Ultegra is showing as £2400.
From memory when I bought mine, 105 disc should be £1900ish I had 105 rim and that was £1600.
Iv since sold mine to get a disc frame.
another thing if you buy a decent set of wheels, then decide to change bikes, if your new one has discs which most do now I’d say then your rim wheel set is useless
He’s in the US so will be presumably be quoting USD :okay:

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Like @vickster and some others here, I’ve always been happy riding rim brakes wet and dry but recognise that manufacturers are moving increasingly to disc brakes.

The main advantage I see is that the disc frame will let you upgrade to fancy new wheels and take wider tyres so that probably tilts the balance in favour of disc. Whichever you choose, enjoy. The CAAD has a great reputation and looks like a great bike.

Gunk

Guru
My preference is rim brakes on a road bike (I think they look far more elegant and are lovely pieces of engineering compared with a disc caliper) and who wouldn’t want this on their bike?

However back in the real world away from romantic nostalgia, discs now are definitely replacing rim brakes, if was investing in a brand new £3000 road bike I wouldn’t now buy one with rim brakes.

Ultegra and 105 are identical, only the material is different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom