CAAD 13 Ultegra with rim vs 105 with disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

Hello Folks
I am newbie with no experience and looking to buy a bike and trying many combinations. I already asked many questions and here is a new one.
I found the CAAD ultegra with rim for 3000 and CAAD 105 with disc for 2750
which one to sacrifice the brake or the groupset
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Hello Folks
I am newbie with no experience and looking to buy a bike and trying many combinations. I already asked many questions and here is a new one.
I found the CAAD ultegra with rim for 3000 and CAAD 105 with disc for 2750
which one to sacrifice the brake or the groupset
Thanks
If you want discs, get discs. You can always change to Ultegra (although there’s really no need) but you can’t change the frame to take discs. The disc bike will be heavier (although a few lbs doesn’t matter in reality for most)

You need to go try these bikes for yourself.

Also if you are new to cycling, spending so much on your first bike may not be sensible depending on your financial circumstances

BigMeatball

If you are a newbie with no experience, then 105 or ultegra won't make much difference to you.

What instead will make a difference is having a better, safer, more reliable set of brakes which may get you out of nasty situations.

So, I'd go for disc brakes :okay:

D

Deleted member 23692

Discs for me too.

You can always upgrade the drive train components later if you wish ... but, apart from weight, there's negligible difference between 105 and Ultegra these days

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup, another one for 105 with discs.
You say you have no experience, and in that case, 105 or Ultegra will make no discernible difference to you. Except that one is more blingy and more expensive to replace than the other,

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you will never ride the bike in bad weather then the rim brakes would be fine. In bad weather though discs are the way to go.

I usually don't ride my rim-braked best bike through winter, but gave way to temptation a couple of winters ago. Result: my front brake wore half of the rim away in less than a month of riding! Disc brakes work better when rims would be getting covered in gritty slush.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If you will never ride the bike in bad weather then the rim brakes would be fine. In bad weather though discs are the way to go.

I usually don't ride my rim-braked best bike through winter, but gave way to temptation a couple of winters ago. Result: my front brake wore half of the rim away in less than a month of riding! Disc brakes work better when rims would be getting covered in gritty slush.
Thanks Colin. I am planning to use the bike in the indoor with a trainer in the winter. In this case rim are much better and suited for me.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Yup, another one for 105 with discs.
You say you have no experience, and in that case, 105 or Ultegra will make no discernible difference to you. Except that one is more blingy and more expensive to replace than the other,
Thanks for your advice

vickster

Legendary Member
It can rain in summer too and potentially heavily and unexpectedly
How much is 105 with rim brakes? Or even Tiagra?

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If you are a newbie with no experience, then 105 or ultegra won't make much difference to you.

What instead will make a difference is having a better, safer, more reliable set of brakes which may get you out of nasty situations.

So, I'd go for disc brakes :okay:
great way to explain. .love it thank you so much

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If you want discs, get discs. You can always change to Ultegra (although there’s really no need) but you can’t change the frame to take discs. The disc bike will be heavier (although a few lbs doesn’t matter in reality for most)

You need to go try these bikes for yourself.

Also if you are new to cycling, spending so much on your first bike may not be sensible depending on your financial circumstances
Thanks Vickster, i am just trying to avoid buying Sora or claris and be stuck with it because of budget. that is why i am looking in 105 at least. suffer now rest later or rest now and suffer later :smile:

Top Bottom