CAAD 13 Ultegra with rim vs 105 with disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
if was investing in a brand new £3000 road bike I wouldn’t now buy one with rim brakes.

The words "invest" and "£3000 road bike" do not belong in the same sentence. Unless you are talking about a custom build, you are going to be throwing half your money away the first time you swing a leg over it - irrespective of what type of brakes it has.
If I was spending that sort of money it definitely wouldn't be disc braked, because discs are pig ugly to look at and I can get ugliness a lot cheaper than three grand. Then again, it wouldn't be carbon either.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

The words "invest" and "£3000 road bike" do not belong in the same sentence. Unless you are talking about a custom build, you are going to be throwing half your money away the first time you swing a leg over it - irrespective of what type of brakes it has.
If I was spending that sort of money it definitely wouldn't be disc braked, because discs are pig ugly to look at and I can get ugliness a lot cheaper than three grand. Then again, it wouldn't be carbon either.
if you buy the wrong bike and you end up selling it and loosing 50% that is a loss of a good money either you name it investment or something else. buying a bike a that price it is an investment it is more expensive than my car :smile: and I want it for the long term that is why brake or rim matter because i have to live with that for long time
I personally if i have to buy a used bike and one has disc it will be more appealing to me than with one with rims. new technology is always good once for selling that old one.

Gunk

Guru

I was just making the point that if buying a brand new bike, especially a racing oriented road bike, disc brakes are probably the best option as that’s where the market is leaning towards.

I’m with you, my £3000 would go towards something a bit different, probably either steel or titanium with a Campagnolo group set and rim brakes :laugh: and it would always be second hand!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I do also see posts on here about bleeding / topping up fluid / pipes gone awry on disc bikes so for reasons of simplicity of repair I will stick with rim brakes.

I wouldn't mind betting a lot of the disc brake promoters are the ones who always take their bike to the LBS for everything and leave them to sort it out.
Someone at work bought a flat bar Spesh with hydraulic discs and reports them as being a complete pain. He's a long term rider and engineer by trade so he's used to fixing things and it's not like he's a mechanically clueless muppet. Even so, he's had enough of them. He's now decided to sell the bike whilst all the born-again coronacyclists are keeping used prices high and has resurrected his old rim-braked bike, suitably commuterised with mudguards and rack.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Just to throw a spanner (wrench) into the works I have always rode rim brakes and see nothing wrong with them.

I do also see posts on here about bleeding / topping up fluid / pipes gone awry on disc bikes so for reasons of simplicity of repair I will stick with rim brakes.

You will have a snowmobile for winter over there anyway! You East or West? Most of my family now in Western Canada.
:smile: I am east but as cold as the western province.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

I was just making the point that if buying a brand new bike, especially a racing oriented road bike, disc brakes are probably the best option as that’s where the market is leaning towards.

I’m with you, my £3000 would go towards something a bit different, probably either steel or titanium with a Campagnolo group set and rim brakes :laugh: and it would always be second hand!
:smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wouldn't mind betting a lot of the disc brake promoters are the ones who always take their bike to the LBS for everything and leave them to sort it out.
Someone at work bought a flat bar Spesh with hydraulic discs and reports them as being a complete pain. He's a long term rider and engineer by trade so he's used to fixing things and it's not like he's a mechanically clueless muppet. Even so, he's had enough of them. He's now decided to sell the bike whilst all the born-again coronacyclists are keeping used prices high and has resurrected his old rim-braked bike, suitably commuterised with mudguards and rack.
Sounds like he is pretty mechanically clueless, they really are not difficult.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Being a fine weather leisure cyclist I would go for the rim brakes. Nothing to do with the groupset, I would pick rims over the discs even if the groupsets were the same. My current rims are 105 and give me more than enough stopping power and I think discs ruin the side profile of a bike. I have a hybrid with discs and I find they are a little more difficult to maintain and adjust than the roadie rims.

That said If I leisure cycled in rain I would probably have picked a road bike with discs.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Living in a relatively flat part of the UK (Norfolk), and being a fair weather cyclist, I’m sticking with rim brakes; as far as I can see, they’re much simpler to set up and maintain and, were I to invest in a bike with disk brakes, I’d want to upgrade the wheel set, thus making my current wheel sets redundant.

Top Bottom