Caadx recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chet Spiker

I've had an email from the dealer saying that following a fatal accident Cannondale are recalling certain year-models for a fork replacement. This doesn't apply to me as my Cannondale was written off last year (see avatar) but that was nothing to do with the fork. I'm at work at the moment but if anyone would like to see the Cannondale announcement I'll post it from home tonight.

tom73

Guru

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Er, hang on ... :whistle:

CAADX with SKS Longboards and rack.jpg

Let me see...
  • Prominent CAADX marking on top tube - YES
  • Disc brakes - YES
  • Large ULTRAX on fork leg - YES (It is dark grey on black so I had never noticed it, but it IS there)
  • External cable to front brake - YES
Aaargh... Thanks for the warning!!!

OP
OP
Chet Spiker

Chet Spiker

You'll be having an upgraded fork soon! Are those the original tyres? I swapped mine after having three punctures in the first week! Just bad luck, I suppose but the Kevlar belted replacements were great.

ColinJ

You'll be having an upgraded fork soon! Are those the original tyres? I swapped mine after having three punctures in the first week! Just bad luck, I suppose but the Kevlar belted replacements were great.
They ARE. I bought the bike on eBay from someone who used it as a commuter bike for a year. He had swapped the tyres for slicks before using it, and put the original Sammy Slicks back on before sending it to me.

I have only had a couple of punctures on the bike, and one of those was a snakebite due to hitting a rock when the tyre pressures were too low.

I will probably put different tyres on next time but will go for semi-slick type again since I ride the bike on and off road.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm guessing they are not quite sure where these forks went so are covering all bases.

ColinJ

It is probably a small risk, but it is a small risk of something catastrophic happening so I'm not going to risk it - I'll phone round local Cannondale dealers next week and see if I can book my bike in to have the fork replaced. I'll ride the bike there and will want them to do it while I wait so I can ride it back. I want the new fork to colour-match the rest of the bike so it might be a while to get it organised.

ColinJ

When the blind driver knocked me of my CAADX, the same model as @ColinJ the forks seperated at the yoke.
Ah! Cannondale make a point of reminding riders about damage due to crashes etc. ...

Cannondale recall notice said:
A crash or other impact can put extraordinary stress on bicycle components, causing them to fatigue prematurely. Components suffering from stress fatigue can fail suddenly and catastrophically, causing loss of control, serious injury or death.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that Cannondale believe that the failed forks had been damaged in use. Still, ideally, forks wouldn't just fail catastrophically after being moderately impacted. (Obviously, if you hit anything hard enough, it will break.)

ColinJ

I reckon that recalling a bike and replacing the fork would wipe out any profit made on the original sale? It must be costing them millions, but obviously they don't want more fatalities or serious injuries! (A cynic might point out that a few lawsuits could cost them even more than the recall ...)

The replacement forks will be all-carbon. I have never ridden those before. They are supposed to be a bit lighter but I doubt that I will be able to notice much/any difference.

Top Bottom