Caadx recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As any regular reader of the cycling press will know "carbon forks do a great job of absorbing the road buzz"

No. You won't be able to notice any difference. ;)
Unless I forget that carbon fibre really doesn't like being crushed, and overtighten the stem bolts ... :whistle:

Hmm - talking about stems... I currently have two 0.5 cm spacers above the stem and three below. The bar position is still a bit higher than I have it on my other bikes so I will try the bike with one, two and all the spacers below moved to above the stem. When I am sure that I have the right bar position I will know how much the bike shop will need to cut steerer on the new fork down by. I won't be reselling the bike so I don't have to worry about it fitting anyone else and I don't like having a big pile of spacers above the stem.

Venod

Eh up
I prefer all carbon forks, a little bit lighter and no joining of the carbon to alloy yoke/steerer must be a stronger construction, I was going to reccomend the correct insert is important, ie not a star nut, but as the shop will fitting them, they will know this.

ColinJ

I prefer all carbon forks, a little bit lighter and no joining of the carbon to alloy yoke/steerer must be a stronger construction, I was going to reccomend the correct insert is important, ie not a star nut, but as the shop will fitting them, they will know this.
Yes - I had thought of insisting on it to the mechanic, but I imagine that (s)he would feel insulted if I did. Having said that, I will find a subtle way of checking before they assemble it! "Oh, so it will have one of those special inserts for carbon fibre steerers - I have never seen one, could you show me what it looks like?" :whistle:

ColinJ

When I bought my bike from Spa the grumpy Yorkshire doom-monger said to me "I've left a few spacers on top ... For when your back goes."
Ha ha - they do have a reputation for that!

I checked the bike tonight - it has 2 spacers above the stem, and 2 below. I think I'll get them to cut the steerer 1 cm (2 spacers) shorter. That will allow me to go lower, but still raise it back again in the future to where it is now, which is higher than my other bikes.

Venod

Eh up
I like to have one 5 mm spacer above the stem the allows the steerer tube to just to protrude the stem ensuring its fully clamped.

Oapil

I've had an email from the dealer saying that following a fatal accident Cannondale are recalling certain year-models for a fork replacement. This doesn't apply to me as my Cannondale was written off last year (see avatar) but that was nothing to do with the fork. I'm at work at the moment but if anyone would like to see the Cannondale announcement I'll post it from home tonight.
I've had an email from the dealer saying that following a fatal accident Cannondale are recalling certain year-models for a fork replacement. This doesn't apply to me as my Cannondale was written off last year (see avatar) but that was nothing to do with the fork. I'm at work at the moment but if anyone would like to see the Cannondale announcement I'll post it from home tonight.

Took my bike in to run and ride bike shop stafford last Thursday. I was the second owner to do so. They just needed my contact number. The shop are hoping to get the new forks by next week. I think they are being optimistic. Cannondale circular said mid August before shipment. Just have to stick to the road bikes for now

OP
OP
Chet Spiker

Chet Spiker

I'm sure it will all be alright in the end. In the meantime here's my specially modified long-wheelbase CAADX last year!

Attachments

• Smashed CAADX.JPG
    Smashed CAADX.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A friend of mine has just told me the date his recalled CAADX will be sorted.

January 2020

ColinJ

A friend of mine has just told me the date his recalled CAADX will be sorted.

January 2020
Super - I was going to phone around and find a local dealer who would do the job before the autumn sets in! I want to ride the bike from October to March because it is the only one I have with mudguards.

I assume the delay is for Cannondale to source replacement forks, rather than your friend's Cannondale dealer not having time to do the job?

The bike is probably safe to ride anyway, but now that the seed of doubt has been sown, downhills will never be the same! :whistle:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Super - I was going to phone around and find a local dealer who would do the job before the autumn sets in! I want to ride the bike from October to March because it is the only one I have with mudguards.

I assume the delay is for Cannondale to source replacement forks, rather than your friend's Cannondale dealer not having time to do the job?

The bike is probably safe to ride anyway, but now that the seed of doubt has been sown, downhills will never be the same! :whistle:
I don't know who is sorting his. He's in MK. Luckily, he has other bikes, but that was his favourite, I think.

ColinJ

I don't know who is sorting his. He's in MK. Luckily, he has other bikes, but that was his favourite, I think.
Oh well... I'll phone around and try to find someone who can do the job before January!

If that delay applies everywhere then I will have to decide whether to risk continuing to ride the bike over the winter. If I decide not to take the risk then I will probably dig out my old Crud Roadracers and put those on my singlespeed bike.

I reckon that recalling a bike and replacing the fork would wipe out any profit made on the original sale? It must be costing them millions, but obviously they don't want more fatalities or serious injuries! (A cynic might point out that a few lawsuits could cost them even more than the recall ...)

The replacement forks will be all-carbon. I have never ridden those before. They are supposed to be a bit lighter but I doubt that I will be able to notice much/any difference.
Most buyers won't find out about this, or take them up on the offer. It's to stop litigation and save face.

ColinJ

Most buyers won't find out about this, or take them up on the offer. It's to stop litigation and save face.
I think you are right about that!

Mmm, I have been doing a bit more digging around... there are 11 known fork failures resulting in injuries - 7 serious, and a death (which may be 1 of those 7)! :eek:

I have emailed my nearest Cannondale dealer and will wait to see what they say.

Biggles100

Has anybody been successful in getting Cannondale to colour match the forks as black will look crap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom