Cabbies, don't you just love them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Especially the one on Kensington High Street this morning, who felt it was his duty to tell me that I was going to get my self killed riding in the middle of the inside lane (it's two lanes either way if you don't know the road). The facts that I was doing 25mph and the lights were red a couple of hundred yards up the road were apparently irrelevant, "as they could have been green", I should have still been over in the gutter so he could get past.

He didn't know what the Primary Position was when asked and told me I was going to get killed riding like that. The only response I could come up with was "yes, probably by a w@nky cab driver".

With that I smiled blew him a kiss and went on my merry way.

I thought these people were supposed to be professional drivers?

Oh, and to the guy on the slicked up Kona, who I played tag with between Chiswick and Hyde Park Corner, I hope I don't meet you on your road bike, I was anticipating a relaxing ride into work followed by a huge breakfast, not a personal best - Respect! ;)

LOGAN 5

Had this said to me by various cabbies. They just can't stand it if they can't squeeze past.

Last week at Vauxhall I was holding central position in the bus lane as cars were virtually stationary in the other lane and there wasn't room for anything to overtake me safely so I made sure they weren't tempted, when a cab starts hooting behind me. I turn round and say "what" (as if I don't know what he wants?!) and he gestures for me to get out of his way. So I just slowed right down so he didn't get where he was going any quicker by trying to bully me out of his way. of course I was then in danger of any dangerous overtake he might decide to do as the road widened approaching the gyratory so I had to make my escape over the very very very slow and inconvenient cycle route across the junction but at least I kept out of his way. You never know what they might do once they've been annoyed and unable to cut you up as and when they please.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
so many people are 'professional' drivers, cabbies, WVM, etc etc

do you really expect any better from them. if anything they're more likely to do craz things like that cos they have such high blood pressure. i've been a 'professional' driver in London, trying to reach deadlines etc, it can drive you a bit crazy. not an excuse, just the way it is.....

MERV

There is a new menace out there.

Pre booked arghhhhhhhhh.With the pre-booked sign on the front and back.I plan to get a pic of that LUL sort badge.

One this morning upset another motorist but for once I didn't have my camera as it was too dark.Load of A-Tean sort of driving.Very immature on a busy road.

Tynan

Veteran
MERV said:
There is a new menace out there.

Pre booked arghhhhhhhhh.With the pre-booked sign on the front and back.I plan to get a pic of that LUL sort badge.

One this morning upset another motorist but for once I didn't have my camera as it was too dark.Load of A-Tean sort of driving.Very immature on a busy road.

very true, what do those sticker mean? they're everywhere

MERV

Yeah new thing apparently.Instead of not knowing why they drive like mini-cab drivers you now know they are mini-cab drivers due to the tell tale sign.I was talking about this with people at work and was told this is one of the last things Ken introduced before clearing his desk.Dunno how true that is.

I get the idea that it's to prevent picking up an unlicensed mini-cab but im not fully sure.Feel free to correct me.

CotterPin

Private hire vehicles started being licenced a few years ago to address the issue of people being picked up drivers purporting to be minicabs. They have a diamond sticker in the back window. The "Pre-book only" is a new thing though.

See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/findaride/downloads/a-guide-to-taxi.pdf.

I think it is great that efforts were made to licence the trade and make it safer for the passengers. I just think it is a shame that as far as I can see no part of getting their licence appears to require them to be even half-way competent drivers.

You just learn very quickly that if you see one of these vehicles to steer clear of it. Unfortunately the problem usually comes from behind. Even if you are in the primary position they will still force themselves past you.

Stephen

The pre-booked stickers have proliferated like a rash in London in the last few months. The reason is that minicabs are exempt from the congestion charge, so private motorists are registering as minicabs to evade the charge.

I saw a new Audi A4 the other day masquerading as a minicab.

I dislike and distrust black cab drivers. In my experience they are aggressive, bad drivers, and irresponsible.

Top Bottom