Cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
The OP was specific , Targeted toward a response from people that have had experience with these components , your opinion you are entitled to , but was not asked for , the idea , as Ive seen reiterated by regulators many times is stick to the OP ,
I

Siclo

Veteran
I've been running them on one bike since Jan, done about 2500km with them. I have an aversion to hydraulic hoses after much grief with Avid Juicy brakes years ago, which is one reason I went for them, I'm very happy with them, had no trouble really. I've got them on drops and with drops you need to be careful what lever you are fitting them to, it must have a 2.5 pull ratio otherwise the lever will over travel. Can't comment on a flat bar though, sorry.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The OP was specific , Targeted toward a response from people that have had experience with these components , your opinion you are entitled to , but was not asked for , the idea , as Ive seen reiterated by regulators many times is stick to the OP ,
I

My experience of cable operated hydraulic discs on drop bar mtb's (and drop bar road-going bikes) was "Why bother?" The BB7's I put on to replace the hybrid cable/hydraulic brakes work just as well.

So, to quote your OP.
always interested to find out what the word on the street is
word on the street is why bother?

Both are similar in function, and maintenance so it is personal choice

Some 20 years ago...

I bought a recumbent fitted with Magura HS33 rim brakes

It was fine until I caught the brake tubing when touring..... and hence no front brake

Tried finding an LBS that could actually reseat the tubing, fill the reservoirs and bleed the system was impossible.

I have also had a similar issue with a Hope disc brake.

After that I have preferred to use cable discs as they are easier to fit, maintain and in an emergency can be repaired with parts available from an LBS

Top Bottom