Cable disc brakes, good bad or ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Yep, I did see the link from Cubist. These brakes come pre assembled with "short" hoses, according to the reviews. I ride a monster front end and large frame, so I am immediately faced with further outlay of longer hoses, and a new supply of fluid. The reviews then go on to speak of inadequate discs for the heavier riders, like myself. So 200mm disc with the relevant adapters then become an additional expense. All said and done, a half decent set of V brakes will set me back £15. for the whole bike. And more to the point, I cant remember an occasion when I have failed to stop, or slow down sufficiently that I have got into difficulty, when using my trusty V brakes. Correctly set up and properly maintained, they work just fine. I just don't think that the additional money is warranted in respect performance. If I retarded my speed any quicker than I can currently do on my V's, I would either go over the handlebars and/or lock up the rear wheel, or both. There is only so much retardation you can get away with, without losing control. I can see the next manufacturers evolution of brakes for bikes incorporating ABS, & that will make us all spend a few more pounds so that we can be seen to have the latest level of gear available. I am all for experimentation and evolution, I am just not convinced that us riders have not been 'taken for a ride' by the manufacturers over disc brakes for bikes. Finally, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, but this dinosaur is not for turning,
And in the famous words of Forest Gump....." that's all I have to say about that ". .

Drago

Legendary Member
What would you recommend then?

I tried some User9609 mechanical calipers recently, but don't know if they're widely available yet. Like sticking a broom handle through your front wheel. I think may be pricy.

There was another dual live piston mechanical caliper that was also very good, but I cant remember the make. I don't think it was Superstar...?

I've also had excellent results with tektro calipers and different pad types, though they were never very good for feel and modulation. Powerful enough though if set up right.

TBH though, if you want stopping power, fit and forget reliability at a sensible price the current SLX system is hard to beat, with the Deore close on it's heels. Some people like Avids but I've never warmed to the Sram brakes and have oft found them troublesome, but others love them.

Jody

Stubborn git
TBH though, if you want stopping power, fit and forget reliability at a sensible price the current SLX system is hard to beat, with the Deore close on it's heels. Some people like Avids but I've never warmed to the Sram brakes and have oft found them troublesome, but others love them.

My bike came with elixir 5s and I thought they were good brakes but was almost caught out couple of times going at a good speed. Swapped for a set of SLX and the difference is night and day. The feel and power is phenomenal.

I had a problem with a set of caliber brakes (Magura HS33) Which were a standard for recumbents in the 80s

Touring in the Welsh Borders on the Hurricane and caught the tubing on a barrier

Totally unable to find a shop that could repair and after trying a few hills with no rear brake. I nipped home, picked up the Street Machine and continued

After that I have always used cable brakes (BB7) as a matter of principle as they are repairable on the fly

Top Bottom