Cable disc brakes, good bad or ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Being a bit of a dinosaur, I have always had rim brakes on all my bikes. However, with it being increasingly difficult to get quality forks and frames with the relevant fittings, I am thinking of using cable driven disc brakes on an up coming winter build. Cable versions because I intend to use combination brake/gear levers that I already have. Not having had any experience with disc brakes of any sort at all, I am taking a journey into the unknown. Any advice regarding specific makes, models, pads or discs that you could recommend, or advise me to stay clear from, would be very gratefully received. As with most things, I guess you get what you pay for, but my budget would be something under £40 .

Disks are as good as v-brakes in the dry and stay good in the wet.
Look for one with a common shoe pattern: eg Avid, Shimano. I use Superstar pads, cheap and good.
I find the Shimano pad anchoring system a bit of a faff, pulling and re-inserting a split-pin. How are the Avid style magnetic anchors?.

Consider the bulk and esp width of the brake caliper and how you will route mudguard stays.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some cable disk brakes are pretty bad. The Promax Render R brakes on my CAADX for example. The one on the back is just about ok but I could not brake hard enough to lock the front wheel on fast descents - I was pulling the lever to the handlebars and still not stopping! :eek:

I have replaced the front brake with an effective one (TRP HY/RD), but they are double your budget.

Avid BB7 brakes get pretty good reviews and can be found for just over £40 a wheel if you shop around.

Simontm

Veteran
I have Tektro Spyres on the Diverge and they haven't let me down yet (touch wood). I am a convert to disc and I must say I would be reluctant to go back to other brakes - at least on the commute with the wet weather on its way.

Last edited:
I have Avids on my bike and have had no problems with the magnetic pad holders at all.

The only comment I would make is that the brakes need to be set up quite carefully. One pad on each brake is stationary (though you can adjust how close to the disc it lies), and the other is squeezed against the disc as you pull the lever. The disc is then sandwiched between the 2 pads. In my experience - and this may just be me! - if you take a wheel out of the bike and then put it back again, the brakes will probably need adjustment afterwards. Not a problem if, like me, you keep the bike in a shed or garage with the wheels in place.. But if you need to regularly take the wheels out, to put the bike into a car for example, then you may find it a bit of a faff to keep adjusting the brakes to get them operating "just right" after refitting the wheels.

On my bike, if the brakes are well set up, they will lock the wheels, although you do need to grab a fair old handfull of lever to do so. If the brakes are not well set up, they will not lock the wheels. You will have braking, but not the assurance of real powerful stopping in case of need. But I would still choose discs over rim brakes, despite the need for some careful setting up.....

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've had bb7s on lots of bikes, work perfectly and better than rim brakes. They're easy to maintain on tour or when bikepacking, just carry a cable.

My cheapy Kona has tektro novella brakes, they're pretty good for low range disc brakes. Easy to adjust and lock up if you want them too.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Are your wheels disc ready? If not, you'll need at least new hubs to mount the rotors. Personally I'd forget cable and get hydraulic brakes. You can find Shimano versions within budget, but you'd struggle to get decent cable versions for that sort of money. OK, so you'll have to change shifters as well, but it will be money well spent.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-altus-m355-disc-brake-set/rp-prod129562

Jody

Stubborn git
As per cubists reply. I was going to recommend Shimano as you really can't beat them for the money. To say they are powerful is a massive understatement.

Jody

Stubborn git
Avid BB7 brakes get pretty good reviews and can be found for just over £40 a wheel if you shop around.

You can get SLX hydraulics for that money.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CLXblujvxscCFUI_GwodgAgFwg&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
My post related to MTB use. I have now had the chance to try three different disc brakes of my MTB, at the front only. One new and two others that were 2nd hand but with new pads. One Clarkes and 2 Promax, and I also fitted a new disc. None exactly top of the range, but then neither are my existing rim brakes. I was very careful in fitting and set up, as I am with my rim brakes. All the disc versions all left me wondering ' why would I choose to have this on my bike ' The stopping power was way down on what I am used to with my V brakes, some worse than others, but none good. One of the Promax brakes gave a juddering feeling to the retardation, while the Clarkes version felt unreliable, as in, it didn't seem to offer the same level of stopping power each time. The disc brake is here to stay, that I understand, but is it here for the right reasons, or is it the bike manufacturers just giving us something else to spend our hard earned pennies on, in the hope that it will look better, instead of work better. I am unconvinced as to the benefits of discs, and will be sticking to my rim brakes for as long as possible. Maybe its different with the high end hydraulics, but my pocket isn't ever going to be deep enough to find out.

Jody

Stubborn git
Maybe its different with the high end hydraulics, but my pocket isn't ever going to be deep enough to find out.

Cubists link was for a pair of hydro brakes that will run rings round v's, new for £30 all in. It's hardly break the bank cost.

Top Bottom