Cable Rub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use electrical tape or helicopter tape to stop paint damage. In your case, touch it up, and use white electrical tape cut to shape.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
^^What he said^^

You can get transparent stickers cut to shape for various parts of the bike where the cables rub - necessary because manufacturers are too fecking lazy to spend an extra 50p fitting a few cable guides that would prevent this. Can you imagine the screams if someone produced a car which lost a chunk of paint every time you opened a door?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4612489, member: 9609"]So it is a common sort of design fault rather than me wrongly aligning the cable at some time in the past. [/QUOTE]
Indeed it is. Cables move when you operate them and paint wears when something rubs against it. This has been common knowledge since both of these were invented, yet frame designers and manufacturers ignore it completely. If the cycling press did it's job when reviewing bikes and highlighted such glaring contempt shown by manufacturers to their customers, instead of blindly repeating the "Stiffer than last year" crap in the brochures the problem would disappear overnight.

keithmac

Guru
It happens with motorcycles and wiring looms as well, I've got quite skilled at tracing random fuses blowing to the loom rubbing against frames etc. Not easy to find in some cases.

Mobytek

Seems like your outer housing may be too long, thus allowing the flex to rub against the frame. Shorter housing, smaller loop, tighter hold, less movement.

Ajax Bay

Guru
your outer housing may be too long, thus allowing the flex to rub against the frame
It may be but from the image we can't tell. More likely it has been in the past but, my assessment is that the set up you have now if fine. [Edit: OP has said in post #4 that it keeps wearing away the paint he puts on: so my assessment was wrong.] You will be able to check whether it's rubbing when the tension comes on by trying it, on a stand. I don't agree that shortening and tightening the loop is a good idea/fix. A tight loop in the cable outer at the RD increases friction in the system - best to minimise.
Battle scars,
Agree. Bit of paint to cover the exposed metal and that's it. It's not in a very visible place, after all. Redo occasionally (annually?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom