Cable stop torn off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dnrc

Veteran
Hi all, i've got a little issue.

I bought a second hand bike recently and have been replacing bits and stripping/rebuilding it.

Part of this was replacing the brake cables.

Problem is, the end of the old cable in the cable stop at the back end of the top tube was stuck in pretty good and in trying to get it out this happened:

dscn0226small.jpg

Oh crap! it's not come right off but i'm not best pleased obviously.

Is the frame likely to still be OK? What's going to be the best approach to repair it?

I was thinking epoxy or liquid metal??

Any input appreciated.

MJN

I would've thought Liquid Metal would suffice, at least if you did a good job of applying it and ensured it was well keyed to the inside of the hole. Welding it would likely be the best option though.

Do proceed with caution given it's your brakes - the answer to the question of 'How good was the fix?' could well come at an inopportune time!

An alternative approach could be to run cable housing from the lever to the brakes all the way?

Mathew

screenman

Legendary Member
I would say either get it professionally repaired or buy another frame, that hole is certainly affecting the strength of the top tube. Hit a pot hole with that at speed and it could fold up, it is now a major weak point and a bit of body filler is certainly not going to put any strength back into it.

Better safe than sorry.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd probably agree with Screenman, thats quite serious damage...i wouldnt feel happy with any repair i could make (and i'm an engineer)
LBS if it were mine and get their advice...it may be weldable. although it may not be economical.

OP
OP
D

dnrc

Veteran
Personally, I'd scrap the frame. No questions, it's got a ruddy great hole in after all.
How the hell did you try to get the cable out?

How did i get it out??

put a screwdriver in there and gave it a couple of taps with a hammer.

Yes, Yes, I Know. Looking back it wasn't one of my better plans.

I spent the afternoon with a few tinnies doing the bike. That was the last proper fix. I had changed the cassette, replaced the chainring, drilled out all four spinning rivnuts given it all a proper cleanup, and just had to put the new brake cables on and i would have been finished.

I'm now after a new frame of bike.

Never mind hey. It's something i won't do again and learning from mistakes is the important thing isn't it!!!

Top Bottom