Cabling a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dennetti

Hi. I am cabling up my new planet x ec130 frame today. As I have not done this before, I thought I'd ask for a bit of advice before I steam in and do it wrong! The frame was supplied with cable inners poking out an inch or so at the relevant points of the frame. When I fit the cables, should I trim these back to the required length before fitting the cable, or maybe I should leave them the length they are. It may become obvious when I start the job, but thought I'd ask the question to see if you could advise on the right way of doing this. Thanks a lot,
Mark

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If they are inners i.e. the steel cable, you use these to guide the outer down them to come out the other end. Once done remove inner then thread the full inner cable through.

I assume there isn't internal cable guides hence the spare inners being there to help

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Its a plastic sleeve. Here's a pic. Cheers

Attachments

• WIN_20180407_093654.JPG
    WIN_20180407_093654.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Prob using the wrong terminology, sorry. It looks like it should stay in situ to provide a route through the frame.

fossyant

You thread the inner through this. Check that the plastic stoppers will accept a cable end stop, the plastic or metal outer caps. You then need to cut sufficient cable to run from bars to frame then from frame to mech. Then route the inner through. You'll have to trim the excess.

If the outer doesn't stop at the plastic grommets/stoppers on the frame then the existing guides are literally as described in my first post other than you run the inner through then follow with a new outer.

It depends if the frame has full internal routing.

Last edited:

fossyant

Planet X web site doesn' help other than they have replacement cable stops. All down to what the cable stops on the frame do. They will either stop the outer or not. If not then the outer runs from shifters all the way to the mechs which is good for keeping dirt out.

Will Spin

Über Member
Looks like you thread the inner through the plastic tube and then pull the tube out (keep it for future use when replacing the cables), but check as fossyant has said. You'll need inline cable adjusters in the run from the shifters to the cable entry on the down tube.

Top Bottom