Cabriolets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What are we talking for this job i wonder?šŸ¤”

On a classic the sky's the limit as there's probably no off the shelf parts and there could be hidden nasties that need repairing adding to the cost. If it needs a new frame it'll cost a lot more. But if it was just a straight forward vinyl change, you're probably looking at a grand and some. If there are issues revealed then i'd run away... That being said, i'd attempt this myself. I couldn't afford to run a car like that if im paying a professional to do it...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't pay them any attention to be honest :laugh:

I donā€™t like them, I had an SLK years ago for a little while, fun to drive but I never much liked it, always either too hot, too cold, too windy, too noisy, smelly if stuck near some stinky diesel. No real benefits to be honest!
And it was never quick enough acceleration wise for me either :hyper:
Sold after a few months!
theyā€™re totally impractical too, need a car to take a bike these days!
You didn't mention the lack of personal security when driving with the top down. When i had my Audi 80 Cabriolet,if i had stuff on the passenger,or back seats when waiting in traffic queues or at lights etc it was easily 'pinchable' by opportunist thieves on bikes or on foot. There's also the road rage thing to consider. For example. I have a verbal altercation with some 'You wanna make summat of it:ninja:' type while in my soft top. In a metal roofed car i'd simply wind the window up (if down at the time) and press the 'lock the doors' button. Waiting 15 seconds for a Mini's roof to roll back over might not buy you enough time!:B) šŸ§ šŸ¤”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On a classic the sky's the limit as there's probably no off the shelf parts and there could be hidden nasties that need repairing adding to the cost. If it needs a new frame it'll cost a lot more. But if it was just a straight forward vinyl change, you're probably looking at a grand and some. If there are issues revealed then i'd run away... That being said, i'd attempt this myself. I couldn't afford to run a car like that if im paying a professional to do it...
I'd say about the same for a 'straight forward vinyl change'. I reckon a whole new roof might be about Ā£2,500.šŸ¤”

I heard someone on the radio the other day say they paid Ā£1200 for 4 new 'Classic Mercedes' white walled tyres.:ohmy:
He also said he wasn't loaded and the bill was about half his monthly wage.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just found one for...Ā£73,400!!:ohmy:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1297971

Mmm,a 3 quarter soft top.šŸ¤”

View attachment 586155

That's a tonneau cover - the car still has a conventional soft top.

They were designed to keep the worst of the weather off when driving one up with the top down, and to be zipped fully closed when parked.

In the days before electric hoods it was an easier way to achieve weather protection.

A lesser benefit is they largely prevented snatch thefts from the interior of the car when in traffic.

Not so much use with an electric hood so rarely offered today, although my Focus cabriolet had a combined wind break/tonneau which also covered the rear seats.

Tonneaus are still sold for modern pick ups to cover the luggage bay.

vickster

Legendary Member
You didn't mention the lack of personal security when driving with the top down. When i had my Audi 80 Cabriolet,if i had stuff on the passenger,or back seats when waiting in traffic queues or at lights etc it was easily 'pinchable' by opportunist thieves on bikes or on foot. There's also the road rage thing to consider. For example. I have a verbal altercation with some 'You wanna make summat of it:ninja:' type while in my soft top. In a metal roofed car i'd simply wind the window up (if down at the time) and press the 'lock the doors' button. Waiting 15 seconds for a Mini's roof to roll back over might not buy you enough time!:B) šŸ§ šŸ¤”
Never gave it any thought to be honest. I only had the car for one spring/summer.
I did get called out for using bad language while cycling though by a woman in a convertible. I was having a conversation with my ride buddy and the f word maybe crept in, it wasnā€™t aimed at her :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Never gave it any thought to be honest. I only had the car for one spring/summer.
I did get called out for using bad language while cycling though by a woman in a convertible. I was having a conversation with my ride buddy and the f word maybe crept in, it wasnā€™t aimed at her :laugh:

When I had my cabriolet it was odd to hear the voices of pedestrians at crossings and in slow moving traffic.

I also got a bollocking from another motorist for slowing down for a police car on a three nines call.

I'd heard the siren before him and he thought I was slowing just for the sake of it.

Oh, and it was nice to hear the birds while trundling down a country lane.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
With the greatest of respect to @Accy cyclist Im not sure this man:

View attachment 586147

Suits this car

View attachment 586148

I reckon a Jag...

View attachment 586149
I think this soft top would be ok for me Dave. Quite quirky/eccentric and in Bianchi Celeste (my favourite cycling colour) too.:becool: Maybe also best to wear appropriate head gear and eye protection as well.šŸ§
1619746119313.png

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I got our C70 out yesterday :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have a rule - Iā€™ll never have an open-top car that wasnā€™t primarily designed as one. Iā€™ll happily have, say, a Honda S2000 or MX-5 but nothing thatā€™s a derivative.

Don't really agree. I had one of these, where hard top is the norm and soft top an option. That said, it's a chassis based vehicle so the hard top doesn't add any strenght. I loved
it.

(internet photo, not my one)

I almost bought one of these which was also great. Didn't buy because the one I drive had a fault, but was lovely otherwise.

Though the later 93 isn't a nice car particularly. (not tried the aero, which might be better)

Also had a ride in but not driven the new mini convertable and it seemed like a great little car

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've had one of them there brainwaves. Imagine a car where, stay with me here, if the weather is nice then the roof could be open, but (this is the radical bit) if it wasn't nice, then the roof could be closed.

I'm getting down the Patent Office PDQ.
it takes 15 seconds to fully put down and put back up a Mini's roof. I don't know if you can do both while driving,i assume like other cars the car has to be stopped. So let's see. You're driving on the motorway at a cheeky 90mph when you get a sudden heavy shower. It'll take a good 10 to 15 seconds to slow down,pull onto the hard shoulder (providing there's one available),then start the 'close' motion. In 30 seconds how much rain has pissed onto the seats and the electrical bits?!!:ohmy:

Top Bottom