Cabriolets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My old Audi 80 Cabriolet came with a huge pile of main dealer invoices, one was to diagnose and repair the automatic roof, £2500 :ohmy:

All it was in the end was an actuator and a piece of wiring loom on the boot lid, but it took them days to find the fault.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My old Audi 80 Cabriolet came with a huge pile of main dealer invoices, one was to diagnose and repair the automatic roof, £2500 :ohmy:

All it was in the end was an actuator and a piece of wiring loom on the boot lid, but it took them days to find the fault.
Was it this colour?!:ohmy: Heck,i thought i liked yellow,but you can over do it!

I had an Audi 80 Cabriolet,about 10 years ago. Not quite this colour,but very close and the same year too. It had a manual shifting roof,so although it was a pain to put one part of it up without the other part falling back down,you didn't have that mechanical/electric failure worry.

1619388674466.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How much will it cost to replace the soft top when it gets slashed? :sad:
How many soft tops do you see these days with patched up roofs? Not many if any i bet. That jealous reaction of 'someone's got summat i haven't,so i'm gonna destroy it':ninja: thing seems to have died out with soft top cars being made affordable to the average man/woman. Unlike in years gone by when the only soft tops you'd see would be on 'expensive sports cars' driven by 'playboys' and daughters of wealthy businessmen.

Why would anyone get all het up over a 2.5 grand,old and seen better days Mini,with a slightly faded soft top?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't pay them any attention to be honest :laugh:

I don’t like them, I had an SLK years ago for a little while, fun to drive but I never much liked it, always either too hot, too cold, too windy, too noisy, smelly if stuck near some stinky diesel. No real benefits to be honest!
And it was never quick enough acceleration wise for me either :hyper:
Sold after a few months!
they’re totally impractical too, need a car to take a bike these days!

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It isn't. Don't fall for BMW's marketing, count how many "Coopers" you see versus Mini "Ones", (it'll be more than ten to one), then realise how BMW have pulled off a masterclass of using an iconic name on an ordinary product to fool everyone that what they have is special rather than standard. There's nothing "Cooper" about a modern Mini Cooper.

Convertibles in the UK are like central heating in Doha. You might enjoy using it once or thrice in a year.
What makes me laugh is seeing people with the roof down in October, faces grimacing, teeth chattering, inwardly saying "I'm damn well using it regardless because people said I wouldn't!"
^_^

Whilst I admit I'm in the minority of (former) convertible owners I was amazed how often I could get the top down even in winter and I loved it; maybe 70% of the time top-down. Admittedly it tended to overheat so I'd always have the heater on full blast so needed top down to let the heat out. I had one of these and I loved it (stock photo, not my one)

That said, I'm amazed how many modern soft tops I see on nice days with the roof up. That I don't get at all.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Whilst I admit I'm in the minority of (former) convertible owners I was amazed how often I could get the top down even in winter and I loved it; maybe 70% of the time top-down. Admittedly it tended to overheat so I'd always have the heater on full blast so needed top down to let the heat out. I had one of these and I loved it (stock photo, not my one)

View attachment 586102

That said, I'm amazed how many modern soft tops I see on nice days with the roof up. That I don't get at all.
I saw one of those a few years ago,parked up outside a 'prestigious cars for sale',place. It was green and cream,with matching seats. It looked immaculate. I think it was up for sale at around 18 grand!:ohmy:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes,it is. I looked at another 2005/6 Mini yesterday. It had the same problem.
Find out how much it costs to replace perhaps.

you don’t want leaks, friend of mine had a rather neglected Astra Convertible with a leaky roof, it slowly turned into a very mouldy, smelly, damp thing before he scrapped it! that was after he’d had it repaired once at a cost of a grand or more!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

View attachment 586102

Always fancied the Vitesse, with its smooth 6 cylinder engine. I had Herald in red, but regretted the sale within 24 hours. :banghead:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I saw one of those a few years ago,parked up outside a 'prestigious cars for sale',place. It was green and cream,with matching seats. It looked immaculate. I think it was up for sale at around 18 grand!:ohmy:

Ouch ! Mine was £300, albeit way below immaculate, and barely roadworthy. I sold it as a non-runner some years later for £300. I enjoyed having it but I'd want something nicer if spending proper money - a mintish TR3 might be £25k and I could be tempted by that

Top Bottom