Cabriolets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a Focus CC3 Cabriolet.

It was the only car I've had that caused several people to approach me to say 'nice car' - you don't get that with a Focus hatch.

I will concede I didn't drop the roof as often as I thought I would, but to say 'it's summer only' is the remark of someone who has never had one.

Some of my best drives were in crisp, still, frosty mornings in the Yorkshire Dales.

Running with the top down is also a different experience because you can hear so much more, bird song, and the conversation of pedestrians when you stop at a zebra crossing or trundle along a high street.

You also find yourself occasionally talking to other road users, which never happens in a tin top.

That included a cyclist who rested his mittened hand on my rear wing to avoid unclipping - cheeky beggar.

I recall pulling over for a police car with its sirens blaring and getting a bollocking from the driver behind - I had heard the cop car several seconds before him.

Being a Focus, mine handled nicely, even with the top down.

I had no leaks, but the roof did creak a bit when up.

I kept the car for about four years - about standard for me - using it most days for work or pleasure.

Depreciation was a little more than I expected, but I'd had about 75,000 reliable and fun miles out of it, so no complaints there.

Worth remembering the majority of people who tell you how crap convertibles are have never driven one, let alone owned one.

Gunk

Guru
My advice is only get a convertible if you have a garage to keep it in.
I had a Volvo C70 T5.
It was very fast and comfortable in a straight line but didn’t do corners.
The roof eventually leaked. Only a very small leak but it meant the car had a slight damp smell. Cars spend 95% of the day sitting on your drive going no where and I bet it rains more in Accrington than Bexley.

Or do what I did and order the optional hard top.

Gunk

Guru
Where do you put the hard top during the summer?
It’s a big thing to have lying around And I wouldn't want to put it in the shed, it would get scratched

I had a huge heavy duty, felt lined bag which I hung up in the garage, two person job though. I used to put it on end of September and take it off early May.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have owned a few and I am certainly not a fan, I actually prefer a targa top of which I have owned a few, 308 gts, X/19 some kind of Jag and then my memory runs out.

Drago

Legendary Member
My advice is only get a convertible if you have a garage to keep it in.
I had a Volvo C70 T5.
It was very fast and comfortable in a straight line but didn’t do corners.
The roof eventually leaked. Only a very small leak but it meant the car had a slight damp smell. Cars spend 95% of the day sitting on your drive going no where and I bet it rains more in Accrington than Bexley.
You need a strut brace. My dads used corner like a one legged cat burying a turd on a frozen pond, and shook like a withdrawing junkie while doing so, but a strut brace tidied up that behaviour a lot. Didn't cure it, but the improvement was marked.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would love to have a 1980s Skoda Rapide convertible.
Back in the time when Skoda were quirky and interesting rather than dull:becool:

Top Bottom