Cadence whats right when pushing it & good on hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I've recently got a computer that shows cadence again and will be using HR zones but til then I am using the cadence. I'm pedalling at about 90rpm and changing my gear to enable to me to do that - when I deviate from it by very much. Apart from it feeling good and thinking I have that number from somewhere - I am not sure if that is a good guide.

And hills...what's a good cadence to aim for when you're tall and not a natural climber. Armstrong's high cadence worked for him and looked like am guessing 120+ but he also bounced like he was on a trampoline..not sure I fancy doing that to be honest

Ta

Craig

I don't think there's a single answer: To each his own as they say. I pedal at 90ish on the flat but once the hill begins that see's my cadence drop. Personally I aim to keep it above 70 but that only works up to about 1 in 7 and once it goes beyond 20% I couldn't give a hoohah about cadence. It also depends on whether I stand or sit. Just keep an eye on it and for the same hill do some trials using different cadences and see which suits you best, gets you up there quickest or least fatigued etc...

GrasB

Veteran
90rpm is the 'typical' cadence where a rider is most efficient at. It's getting generally accepted that power production is linked to pedal speed in m/s rather than rpm. So if a rider can produce 400w at 90rpm with 175mm cranks they can produce 400w at 1.65m/s, this equates to 102rpm on 155mm cranks & 79rpm on 200mm cranks! However optimal pedal speed is influenced by a persons exact blend of slow + fast twitch strength & the position the rider takes on the bike. As a general rule if it feels about right it typically is.

How to climb? Again anyway that works for you. The key is to change position often & so giving muscle groups a chance to rest, if you can grind & spin you can use this by changing exactly which muscle fibres you're using.

Garz

Squat Member
Just to re-enforce the above posts it's each to their own style but experimenting is helpful in finding ones efficiency. I like to see my cadence as occasionally when your day-dreaming or not focussing you can over-spin or grind. I tend to find it hard going above 110 but also feel below 70 is grinding. This is just my comfort zone.

As crackle mentioned though once you hit an awkward hill or above 20%ers then the 'keep your cadence to 90' or whatever advice is not practical in these scenarios - don't beat yourself up on that.

Likewise whether to sit or stand on some hills. For me it depends a lot on how you feel on the day. Some days I can sit and power up a tough hill without changing gear (this is probably the most efficient). Other days I have to stand or faff with the gearing, I guess it's down to leg strength on the day or mental toughness.

What I do know is the more you practice them the better you get!
biggrin.gif

overgeared

i think its rare for a persons climbing cadence to be higher than the one they adopt on the flat and although i havent looked at it i doubt if armstrong actually increased his rpm on the climbs, more likely he was better than many at maintaining what he had on the flat.

90 is very typical on the flat. if you can maintain that on the climbs then great but many would aim for 70 plus as others have said.

Top Bottom