Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
:banghead:
Yes but no body rides aerobic on
hills particularly whilst racing.

As I and others have told you anaerobic activity is unsustainable meaning that if you go into what used to be known as oxygen debt on a hill you will have to repay that debt (recover) before you continue. To recover you will need to coast or ride easy and the overall result would be negative. This is the technique used in hill intervals and is effective in training to boost lactate threshold but not a wise thing to be doing in a race but as has been said fine on the final three yards of a TT.

50000tears

"Muscle WEIGHS more than fat,"

Quality article

I know, I know. If only he had added "by volume" at the end he could have gotten away with it! Still correct in terms of muscle fiber types and that doing weights is not really a friend of the cyclist.

It should be added that even when the pros talk of doing any weight work it is very high reps with low weights so nothing to generate additional bulk.

montage

God Almighty
Faster speeds only win you sprints. Faster speeds are not what 99% of cycling, including competitive cycling, is about. It is how long you can maintain speed which counts. Otherwise, as I have said repeatedly, Chris Hoy would be King of the Mountains in the TdF.

Interestingly, the Aussie track sprinters were known to have the highest peak powers (I cannot recall the Olympic cycle this was in) as their training prioritized this maximum effort. Unfortunately for them, other counties such as GB had a far larger emphasis on speed endurance, and their sprint team got pummeled. Even over a flying 200m, speed endurance is massive.

In road racing and crits, it is unlikely you will hit your peak power during the final sprint due to fatigue - it's all about speed endurance.

Top Bottom