Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Is there an optimum range that peeps strive for?

Just refitted my GSC 10 sensor and did a steady undulating 60 miler today.

Average cadence was 81.

No idea what to read into it so looking for some advice!

screenman

Legendary Member
Too low and my dodgy knee does not like it, too high and my legs cannot keep up with me, somewhere in between works quite well. Or about 86 seems about average for me, I am trying to get it faster just to see what effect it has, takes time to change after this many years.

Out of interest what was you average speed and gear inch?

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Too low and my dodgy knee does not like it, too high and my legs cannot keep up with me, somewhere in between works quite well. Or about 86 seems about average for me, I am trying to get it faster just to see what effect it has, takes time to change after this many years.

Out of interest what was you average speed and gear inch?
17.3 mph. I run a 50/34 compact with a 12-25 cassette.
Legs heavy after a century yesterday, so tried to keep a lower gear than normal.

screenman

Legendary Member
17.3 mph. I run a 50/34 compact with a 12-25 cassette.

Good speed for a 60, nice day out there today as well, could you have the same speed and distance on 90rpm? to be honest were you happy with the ride, if yes then no worries. There is something about more stress on knee's when grinding and I know my knee does not like it.

screenman

Legendary Member
That chain looks so close to your wedding tackle it would worry me.

Must admit in all my years of cycling I have never ridden a bent and it is something I must try before long.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Good speed for a 60, nice day out there today as well, could you have the same speed and distance on 90rpm? to be honest were you happy with the ride, if yes then no worries. There is something about more stress on knee's when grinding and I know my knee does not like it.
I do get some occasional knee pain but nothing serious, so maybe I do need to try higher cadence.
I'll have another go tomorrow!

D

Deleted member 18052

Just fitted my garmin to the bike, 2nd ride...
http://www.strava.com/activities/141497109/analysis

Avg cadence 94 - Felt pretty good to me as i've only just got it that ive not had time to build up the spinning

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Don't forget it takes time to adjust to biomechanical changes.

Stick with it for a few weeks before you start looking for improvements. Quite normal for you to be worse the first few times you go out :smile: I only ride a 39 tbh. 39 was all I ride today. Never touched the big chainring.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Ok set of again for 75 miler (~4000ft elevation) with heavy legs and a concerted effort to increase cadence,

Average cadence of 87 compared to ydays 81, and certainly felt more effective; obviously less grinding and more spinning.

Felt much more productive so thanks for help! :thumbsup:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Interesting stuff . Ive just looked at my last ride and mine averaged 79 . Next time I do the same route i'll up it and see what its all about .

Top Bottom