Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Its a coping method chuchilo
Ulrich grinds-muscle strength runs out#screwed

Armstrong spins-aerobic capacity has limits, when reached- drop a gear and have all the muscle strength Ulrich has dumped ready to play with

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
On a Garmin device you should have the following data averaging settings:

Power: Include zeros.

Cadence: Do not include zeros.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When calculating a cadence average is this over the whole ride or just when you are actually pedalling? Guess it has to the latter or averages could get thrown out quite a lot if freewheeling times come into the calculation.
I take mine from strava segments as I ride in a lot of traffic . RP is a pretty clear run for 7 miles so I can compare from that at this stage anyway .

ayceejay

Guru
Its a coping method chuchilo
Ulrich grinds-muscle strength runs out#screwed

Armstrong spins-aerobic capacity has limits, when reached- drop a gear and have all the muscle strength Ulrich has dumped ready to play with
That doesn't make sense Jason. Are you saying that when someone reaches their "aerobic capacity" they can continue on "muscle strength"?

JasonHolder

Do you not ride? When you breach your aerobic threshold you turn anaerobic, and you're in a better position if you still have all your muscular strength, which will break down but it is better to keep it as long as you can. No strength is the premier reason why people walk up hills pushing a bike/ just go home cuch ;) lol

ayceejay

Guru
That is just completely wrong Jason. The words should be a clue 'aerobic' means with air (oxygen) and 'anaerobic' means without air. An endurance sport like cycling obviously relies heavily on aerobic capacity and this is the capacity that is built up during base miles. A body can only operate for a short time without oxygen but the anaerobic threshold can be increased too with appropriate training methods, when you reach your threshold you will know as the lactic acid will tell you, once you have reached this point no amount of preexisting strength will help at all.

50000tears

Do you not ride? When you breach your aerobic threshold you turn anaerobic, and you're in a better position if you still have all your muscular strength, which will break down but it is better to keep it as long as you can. No strength is the premier reason why people walk up hills pushing a bike/ just go home cuch ;) lol

To phrase this slightly differently, when you cycle at an effort that uses more energy than your aerobic system can cope with you begin to cycle anaerobically. When you do this your muscles break down sugar and create lactic acid, this can then build up and make your legs sore and fatigued earlier than you might want. If you still have many miles ahead then you are going to have a tough time and will probably have to slow down a lot to get the job done. That is why spinning is always better than grinding when doing longer rides. Some lactic will build up if you face lots of hills that are hard to spin up but that is to be expected.

Getting fitter is a process of increasing your aerobic capacity so that your body can take a bigger effort, and for longer, whilst still staying in an aerobic state.

50000tears

That is just completely wrong Jason. The words should be a clue 'aerobic' means with air (oxygen) and 'anaerobic' means without air. An endurance sport like cycling obviously relies heavily on aerobic capacity and this is the capacity that is built up during base miles. A body can only operate for a short time without oxygen but the anaerobic threshold can be increased too with appropriate training methods, when you reach your threshold you will know as the lactic acid will tell you, once you have reached this point no amount of preexisting strength will help at all.

He is not wrong, he just wasn't clear. You are right that anaerobic is 'without air' which is what happens when your muscles do not have enough oxygen to create the energy output you are demanding of them.

JasonHolder

I know what anaerobic means thanks.
What if I told you more strength gives you a longer time to exhaustion.

There it is, finally some words that are as descriptive as I wish them to be.

Top Bottom