Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I was just wondering how many of yous actually try to maintain a cadence of around 70-80 revs/min (¿?) when cycling. Is this meant to be the optimum for aerobic respiration and increasing your stamina?

yenrod

I thought it was 90 rpm...:sad:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
92 even? Anyway it varies from person to person. It's really noticeable when you cycle with other people. Discounting outlying people who may be going along at 40rpm or something I think there's a lot of variation out there.

I try (and fail) to pedal at 95-110rpm as that seems to suit me.

montage

God Almighty
I am about 90-100 rpm, but not sure exactly as I don't have a cadence moniter.
I do vary though, sometimes I will grind for a mile or two just to get a change of pain in my legs :?:

tyred

Legendary Member
I just use whatever seems comfortable. What I feel I have achieved by riding a SS bike is being able to pedal comfortably at a wide range range of cadences.

Me: Bought a cadence computer specifically to keep an eye on it. It has made a difference to my overall stamina and discourages me from wrecking my knees. Keeping a higher cadence seems to eek out my stength more. The downside is I'm slower to build power but that's fine because the other main purpose is not to overdo it as I ride. So cadence and HR are my weapons for this. Being something of a stop and go cyclist about to make another return to it in a few weeks, I've found it all very useful and it compliments the turbo. Oh and 89 to 90 is my rpm down to 50 on hills and 40 ish on "Oh Jeezus, I'm not going to make this" inclines.

I keep a fairly high cadence when I'm peddling 80-90 on average. I like to be able to increase it when I need too my gps records around 110+ regularly but I don't like peddling down hill so the cadence drops.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Maz said:
I was just wondering how many of yous actually try to maintain a cadence of around 70-80 revs/min (¿?) when cycling. Is this meant to be the optimum for aerobic respiration and increasing your stamina?

The optimal cadence for you will be the one that you're most comfortable with. It seems science is slowly starting to understand this. It is important to experiment as see what works for you, but don't slavishly follow fashion.

Young Un

On the turbo I average about 110

ON the road I average about 90 maybe? I used to be a grinder but I think all of my turbo work is turning me into a spinner which I am glad about, although on big climbs I still like to honk.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Strangely enough I was discussing this very subject with Jim Riach yesterday, he was saying that it is a personally thing, but most pros ride at between 80-120 rpm...

jimboalee

You have to get yourself on an ergonometer ( or dynamometer ) with some gas analysis kit measuring your O2 and CO2.

Its an 'all-afternoon' job, but you get some curves of efficiency versus pedaling cadence.

Mine was 76 rpm, which is strange because its close to the tempo of some of my favourite dance tracks.

Top Bottom