Cafe becoming political drop shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That some friends of Sarah Everad's said something about what they thought she'd have thought about criticism of the Met is neither here nor there, really is it?

It's the nearest we've got to what the family may have thought of some of the ways in which her story/pic was used.

In my opinion, dismissing their view purely because it doesn't accord with your own is missing the point.

Who is stopping you having that conversation ??

Or posting the pictures??

Early deaths caused by inequalities, is an important topic.

But might end up quite political quite soon.

Ps.

Great bit of 'whataboutery' by the way :okay:

Surprised really, that it didn't arise earlier .
'Whataboutery'? It's not even the topic of this thread, you just shoe-horned it in as you verbosely do so often, and dismiss any opinions to the contrary rather than discuss it. It's part of the reason you're getting shunted to New NACA. :laugh::hello:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's the nearest we've got to what the family may have thought of some of the ways in which her story/pic was used.

In my opinion, dismissing their view purely because it doesn't accord with your own is missing the point.

I wasn't 'dismissing their view '

I was saying their views, on her possible view isn't particularly relevant when discussing the use of Sabina's picture in publicity about the case .

Sadly we will never get to hear the views of the women themselves.

'Whataboutery'? It's not even the topic of this thread, you just shoe-horned it in as you verbosely do so often, and dismiss any opinions to the contrary rather than discuss it. It's part of the reason you're getting shunted to New NACA. :laugh::hello:

I was referencing, the whataboutery around shortened lifespans, due to deprivation , lifestyle etc.

Which I think is a legitimate topic for sure.
Why not start a thread on it even 👍🏼

What we are talking about here was brought up when someone asked Claude about her avatar.

I didn't 'shoe horn' it in.

Verbosely or otherwise.

And I'm not getting 'shunted' anywhere - I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

Your gleeful waving, suggests that it might.

I wasn't 'dismissing their view '

I was saying their views, on her possible view isn't particularly relevant when discussing the use of Sabina's picture in publicity about the case .

Sadly we will never get to hear the views of the women themselves.

I was referencing, the whataboutery around shortened lifespans, due to deprivation , lifestyle etc.

Which I think is a legitimate topic for sure.
Why not start a thread on it even 👍🏼

What we are talking about here was brought up when someone asked Claude about her avatar.

I didn't 'shoe horn' it in.

Verbosely or otherwise.

And I'm not getting 'shunted' anywhere - I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

Your gleeful waving, suggests that it might.

No. :hello:

Brandane

Legendary Member
You threatened Mudsticks in-thread with reporting her post - I obviously have no idea whether you carried out this threatened vexatious reporting.
Lies, or a figment of your very twisted imagination. I DID report a post in that particular thread about 10 days ago, but it was by some other nobody who I can't even remember. To clarify, I have never reported, or even threatened to report, any post by @mudsticks .

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Lies, or a figment of your very twisted imagination. I DID report a post in that particular thread about 10 days ago, but it was by some other nobody who I can't even remember. To clarify, I have never reported, or even threatened to report, any post by @mudsticks .

Like I said, I can't possibly know who you have and haven't actually reported - I'm only going on what you said in the thread. It would be easier to verify if you'd not subequently deleted it, of course. :okay:

1632407198712.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Saying what they think is 'neither here nor there' sounds like a dismissal to me.

I've dealt with dozens of bereaved families over the years and my conclusion is the sensitivities around this topic are a minefield.

What one family takes very badly against may not matter a jot to another.

'Neither here nor there' was said in relation to the publicity around Sabinas murder.

Not Sarah's.

As you say reaction from the bereaved will vary on a case by case basis.

So we shouldn't generalise.

As it stands, Sabina's picture is being widely distributed, one assumes with the consent of the family.

To draw attention to the case, and hopefully to solve it.

By posting pictures of women who have recently been murdered Claud is drawing attention to the issue.

It's not being done in a disrespectful manner.
It is clearly very important to her.

If it were me, I would be want her to do that, on my behalf.

All women want this violence being done to them, to stop.

There will be have to be various approaches to achieving that end.

Publicity is one way of doing that..

It seems to me that some really awful attitudes towards women, are a big part of the cause.

We even get a whiff of those attitudes on here.

That some don't even seem to see or hear it, does I suppose indicate just how normalised some of those attitudes are, in society in general.

Is cafe starting to become a drop shop for political chit chat and should those posts be immediately removed rather than mods asking for people to stop??

it would take less time to shut the chat down immediately rather than the mods closing, cleaning, adding a no political chat mod line and then re-opening the thread.

if you want political chit chat - head over to this place and fill your boots https://naca.cyclechat.net/

I think this thread has nicely clarified why the other board was created, and maybe even for who. :laugh:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Is it still going? Thought it might have fizzled out when I was out.

That’s over 13 miles walked today. Not bad for a Werthers sucking granny coffin dodger! :laugh:
Result Coffin Dodger .... we’re, (The WIMPS), doing JOGLE next June ... you’d be welcome to join us for a ride through Perthshire...

Yep. Nice new forum for them to use..........but of course nobody to wind up, and gain attention from their buddies over there!
This is not a school playground. People agree and disagree and argue their grounds, including me and I am not buddies with those I agree with, in fact I know no-one personally on this forum. I trust that is the same with you and you like people's posts and they yours because you agree with them not because they are your buddies.

As far as I am concerned all this talk about buddies and usual suspects is just pure bullshoot to justify a position as the reasonable party, not like 'them' over there.

FWIW I will not politicise any discussions on CC outside NACA because Shaun has done his best to find a workable solution that allows people to discuss both cycling and non-cycling topics, but let us not pretend that even this discussion is not fuelled again by 'them and us' political attitudes, and it is always 'them' who are at fault.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod's note:
As per the forum's owner's wishes, please take political discussions to the new NACA.
I'm sure you all know what makes a discussion political, please do not disrupt the cafe or thread bans could happen.
Ultimately:
"Who decides,
The Mods team, in consultation with @Shaun, does decide.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom