Cafe Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Could you could wear your tea cosy as a hat?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 4645385, member: 9609"]Is it alright to use your hat as a tea cosy ?

On long winter rides i like to pop into a certain cafe and get tea for two and try to keep the pot warm with my hat as I have a good long rest. last week the owner asked if I wouldn't do that as it is not very hygienic - she was absolutely charming about it and could not have asked in a nicer way (I wanted to say do you not wash them but didn't as I'm really very polite) . But I'm going back there the morrow and I don't want me tea to get cold.[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised she lets you put the mugs of tea to your lips or the cake fork into your mouth. You'll catch more illnesses via someone else's mouth than from cosying your hat. It's simply non-standard behaviour that shouldn't be prohibited using spurious sanitary reasons.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You also put your sweaty 'arris on her nice clean seats, and I bet they get cleaned less than the teapots do.
Like DM says it's just slightly unusual behaviour. She's probably never seen anyone use a hat as a tea cosy before, it's clearly surprised and slightly unsettled her (but she's not sure why), and it comforts her to use cleanliness as the excuse to stop the behaviour.

Anyway, order tea for one, drink it up, and then get another. Happy cyclist, happy cafe Doris.

Top Bottom