Cafe Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Take your own teapot

Sandra6

Veteran
Personally I think the cafe owner is bang on. I wouldn't be happy knowing my pot of tea has come into contact with someones sweaty hat before me. It is just gross regardless of it is washed or not.

Anyway if it is going cold you can always ask for some hot water to top the pot up.

You're not sharing his pot of tea though. You don't know who had the cup or plate before you, or what dirty little finger has been in the sugar bowl.
There are far more unhygienic things going on in cafes than hats being used as tea cosies.

mustang1

Legendary Member
What you all say about the fork or spoon going into mouth, or ass on the seat. Nothing technically wrong with putting hat on teapot but kind of odd and proprietar probably feels uncomfortable, perhaps other customers feel the same.

I wouldn't do it just for that reason.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ask for a tea cosy. If they decline, inform them you'll not be back... and then actually don't go back.

If you can't bear that, maybe it's not so important to you.

I agree the hygiene reason seems spurious unless they're not washing pots between uses... and that's far more reason to go elsewhere.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A tea cosy?
How quaintly old fashioned:sad:.
And how very practical! (Not so good as headwear, admittedly, they give you a steamy head.)

Tim Hall

What you all say about the fork or spoon going into mouth, or ass on the seat. Nothing technically wrong with putting hat on teapot but kind of odd and proprietar probably feels uncomfortable, perhaps other customers feel the same.

I wouldn't do it just for that reason.
Most cafes I've been in seem to discourage the bringing in of donkeys (and other equines).

Top Bottom