Cafe stop bike lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Buy the cheapest lock that's comfortable to carry.

It will mean that you never leave the bike completely unattended, which is what's required.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I saw a roadie outside a cafe who's bike was upside down.

I made the usual inquiry and he told me the bike was fine, but he'd forgotten his lock so he up-ended the bike to give the impression to a thief it was broken and therefore not worth stealing.

He also reckoned that if someone did try to nick it while he was getting served the few extra seconds it would take to right the bike would give him the chance to get to it.

Probably true, and he looked the type of guy who might have enjoyed giving a thief a slap.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I made the usual inquiry and he told me the bike was fine, but he'd forgotten his lock so he up-ended the bike to give the impression to a thief it was broken and therefore not worth stealing.
There was one parked upside-down outside the borough council offices on Monday evening. It was still locked to the stand, so I'm not sure it was meant to suggest brokenness.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
**I've met someone who can unlock a simple combination lock by touch, but my fingers aren't sensitive enough.
There was a particular type of combination bike lock that was popular when I was at school in the 70s. We used to have lock breaking races, they were really easy. And they were attached to chains that were not much stronger than bath plug chains.

Jumpers for goalpoasts.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I saw a roadie outside a cafe who's bike was upside down.

He also reckoned that if someone did try to nick it while he was getting served the few extra seconds it would take to right the bike would give him the chance to get to it.

Probably true, and he looked the type of guy who might have enjoyed giving a thief a slap.
He may as well take the front wheel off and take it in the cafe :laugh:

My response to your previous comment was perfectly reasonable and made no unfounded claims. I didn't question your experience, merely pointed out that my experience was different. You have no grounds for questioning my experience because you have no idea of the extent of my experience. You're a prize twat and no mistake.

A 'prize' twat? I feel honoured.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Bloody hell, just got to my bike and some scrote has nicked my spare tube and C02 pump but left the 3 Pedros tyre levers. I will be investing in a removable bag. I have one on the best bike but not the commute. They left the bag unzipped, otherwise I would never have known until I needed them.
Sorry to go off post.
@400bhp

Last edited:
Bloody hell, just got to my bike and some scrote has nicked my spare tube and C02 pump but left the 3 Pedros tyre levers. I will be investing in a removable bag. I have one on the best bike but not the commute. They left the bag unzipped, otherwise I would never have known until I needed them.
Sorry to go off post.
Put loaded rat traps in the bag, if you leave it. Just don't forget you have put them in there though.

Sorry to go off post.
@400bhp
Sympathy.

I have a topeak tribag that I leave permanently attached to the bike after getting fed up with removing it and replacing it all the time. It's been unmolested for a year, which means if it got stolen now, it's probably worth the price to have avoided a year of faffing. You might take the same attitude (except for the risk of being stranded without a spare).

If you never open it, except in an emergency, maybe use a cable tie to seal it closed. Would prevent an reoccurrence of exactly this crime.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There was a particular type of combination bike lock that was popular when I was at school in the 70s. We used to have lock breaking races, they were really easy. And they were attached to chains that were not much stronger than bath plug chains.
And yet, I spent much of the 1990s riding around with a 1980s forgotten-combination chain wrapped in tape (to stop it clanking the frame) around the head tube and top tube. Tried every combination and it still never opened so I suspect it had corroded shut and I never quite got around to attacking it with serious tools... did still occasionally stretch it out and loop it around a parking stand if I forgot to take a real lock. :laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
I’ve got the Abus one. it’s fine for what it’s designed for - a deterrent if you have to leave your bike for a couple of minutes to go into a shop or something like that.

Top Bottom