Cafe stop bike lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Please recomend me a compact lightweight cafe stop lock. Following on fron the lock thread. I like the Abus that @ianrauk showed in that thread. It would be for locking up a bike always in sight save for the briefest of moments. I would prefer not to have it attached to the frame. Something like this...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CJ-S4Jzqys4CFQJZhgodKX0Ibg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know the smart answer would be "Get that one then" but I would like to make a comparison.....

Cheers,

ssd

Nibor

Bewildered

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Please recomend me a compact lightweight cafe stop lock. Following on fron the lock thread. I like the Abus that @ianrauk showed in that thread. It would be for locking up a bike always in sight save for the briefest of moments. I would prefer not to have it attached to the frame. Something like this...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CJ-S4Jzqys4CFQJZhgodKX0Ibg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know the smart answer would be "Get that one then" but I would like to make a comparison.....

Cheers,

ssd

For what you are buying and of the cost. They are all much the muchness. They wont stop a determined scrote trying to steal your bike but they will think twice and/or look at other bikes without a lock rather then yours.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had the Abus. It never worked. Very difficult to set the combo and then Seemed to lose the combination in the saddle bag! I sent it back for a refund and got the little Giant coil one, not often used tbough

I've had mine over 5 years old now. It's got wet through many a time and never given me any problems. My Abus Combi doesn't mind the winter.
I've had the misfortune of several combi locks succumbing to the Orrible winter road grime, and / or freezing. It ain't funny when you're 80 miles from home. Also, trying to line up a combi code with frozen fingers, or in the dark, with no lights or torches, which haven't run out of charge, is a faff I can live without.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've had the misfortune of several combi locks succumbing to the Orrible winter road grime, and / or freezing. It ain't funny when you're 80 miles from home. Also, trying to line up a combi code with frozen fingers, or in the dark, with no lights or torches, which haven't run out of charge, is a faff I can live without.

s'funny ain't it.
I've never found it a faff at all. Each to their own and all that.

The real problem with the Abus is if you forget the combination, you are stuck. You can only change the combination if you remember that old one** That being said, I thoroughly recommend it. I've had it for 4 years.

The giant lock can apparently be pulled open by hand. Though I am sure the Abus can also be easily circumvented, it's not quite as obvious how to do it.

Edit: I don't see how this lock could be exposed to winter grime. It's really too small and light to be kept on the frame. It has to kept in a pocket or bag.

**I've met someone who can unlock a simple combination lock by touch, but my fingers aren't sensitive enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom