Cafes specifically catering for cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I have got a bit of an idea for a cycle friendly cafe. Might have to think about putting it into practice.

Him off Brookside is a keen cyclist so he bought a hotel in France somewhere for cyclists. A B&B or something. How cool would that be, a few acres to grow veg, cyclists as guests, cyclists are usually pretty decent. But then you'd get nutters posting bile on tripadvisor "The mountains were too far away and the sausages were rubbish".

dodgy

Him off Brookside is a keen cyclist so he bought a hotel in France somewhere for cyclists. A B&B or something. How cool would that be, a few acres to grow veg, cyclists as guests, cyclists are usually pretty decent. But then you'd get nutters posting bile on tripadvisor "The mountains were too far away and the sausages were rubbish".

Think you're talking about Simon O'Brien. He used to have a cafe in Liverpool called 'The Hub' that also had a bike shop attached. Way ahead of its time, this was 1992ish, they had showers for commuters. Located near the Black horse and rainbow pub near the bombed out church. The salt and pepper pots were modified hope MTB hubs.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Most bike specific cafes don't do it for me. I would rather go to a normal cafe that accepts cyclists and serves good value and quality food. I suspect many people are the same. Jodrell Bank was rammed with cyclists at 10:30 the other Sunday and although cycle friendly it isn't aimed purely at cyclists. Also like Blaze Farm up at Wildboarclough. Cracking value for homemade cake and a hot drink but definitely not deliberately targeting cyclists.

Think you're talking about Simon O'Brien. He used to have a cafe in Liverpool called 'The Hub' that also had a bike shop attached. Way ahead of its time, this was 1992ish, they had showers for commuters. Located near the Black horse and rainbow pub near the bombed out church. The salt and pepper pots were modified hope MTB hubs.

That's him, I got confused and thought the cafe was in the Pyrenees or something.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Hub in Newcastle city centre is all kinds of brilliant. They have pub style quizzes before showing Spring Classics which I'm looking forward to.

Mmm, I've only been to The Hub during the day, it doesn't quite cut it for me.

It's at Ouseburn, on the main bike path north of the Tyne to the coast, so it's a convenient place to stop.

A cafe I do like is the Bordar House in Masham, north Yorkshire.

Cycle stands outside for locking purposes, or a window hatch if you just want to keep the bike with you and dine outside.

Decent food served by charming waitresses, or at least the young ones are.

Basic stuff, but I like the likes of poached eggs on toast, or sausage, egg and chips.

Popular with roadies, I think it's a stop on club runs.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...ouse_Teas-Masham_North_Yorkshire_England.html

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Do cylists need "cycling specific" cafes? Is some kind of apartheid what we wish for?

No I don't think so. Never felt unwelcome at any café I've stopped at. I just go to ones I know serves good value quality stuff. Doesn't need to be a "cyclists café" for me

AndyRM

XOXO
Mmm, I've only been to The Hub during the day, it doesn't quite cut it for me.

It can be a bit hit and miss, depending on who's on at the time. I was there one day and the catering staff were all off for whatever reason, leaving the cycling element of the staff as the only folk there. Shambles.

KneesUp

Guru
https://m.facebook.com/AmiciandBici?_rdr

Amici & Bici is a cafe near me that has a cycling theme. They provide locks for bikes, have a big screen showing races. They provided refreshments free of charge on the space 4 cycling ride in the summer.

Probably the best coffee in Sheffield too.

I must call in there sometime - I notice they have a yellow Grand Depart bike chained up outside now.

Nonna's has a bit of a cycle-vibe going on these days, but the cyclists I see there seem rather more concerned with appearance than I am - I'm not sure I'd fit in on my 25-year old home-brew bike :smile:

KneesUp

Guru
It seems so. New one's seem to be opening at a fairly fast rate.
By that logic the human race must also "need" nail bars, tattoo parlours and a constant supply of mediocre coffee served in disposable 'sippy cups'

I'm grumpy this morning.

Top Bottom