Cafes you like

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are cycling over the hills between Hebden Bridge, Colne and Haworth, Coldwell Activity Centre is worth calling in at. The cafe there is open most days until about 4 pm. There are picnic tables outside for when the weather is nice, and a big conservatory for when it isn't! Take care when cycling in and dismount in the car park - the centre is visited by a lot of disabled children and a child was hit by a careless cyclist a couple of years back.

Oh, and if you are on a bicycle with narrow tyres - watch out for the crazy wheel-trapping drain in the road nearby! It looks as though the road was widened some time ago and the drain is now exactly on the cycling line and the slots in the drain cover are parallel to your wheels ;)!

andy1

Guru
Coldwell activity centre cafe is now closed Colin! dont know why, but C Crossland told me,along with the imminent closure in Sept of the road over Thursden brook (the ravine road) subsidence im led to believe! obviously this could have implications for Chris"s audax Seasons of Mist if the road is totally impassable, and the cafe remaining closed which was the last control!
PS enjoy your holiday

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
andy1 said:
Coldwell activity centre cafe is now closed Colin! dont know why, but C Crossland told me...
Oh, that's a pity! Quite a bit of money had been spent on the place, including lottery funding. Hopefully it will only be a short-term closure because it was ideally situated.

andy1 said:
... along with the imminent closure in Sept of the road over Thursden brook (the ravine road) subsidence im led to believe! obviously this could have implications for Chris"s audax Seasons of Mist if the road is totally impassable, and the cafe remaining closed which was the last control!
PS enjoy your holiday
Sorry for going a bit off-topic here folks but, but since Andy mentioned it... ;)

Together with problems at Coldwell, that would be a real double-whammy for Seasons of Mist. To keep off busy roads Chris would have to either take us back over The Long Causeway which we'd already have done earlier in the day in the other direction. Or, and this would be a big 'or' given the toughness of SoM, we'd have to head off through Trawden and back via Stanbury and Oxenhope.

I use that road quite frequently. I was up there about 4 weeks ago and it was in a dodgy state then. The side of the road was crumbling down into the ravine and there were traffic cones severely restricting the width of the road all the way up the climb. It was okay on the bike (apart from the 20+% gradient that is!) but it didn't look like it would take too much more traffic.

It would be a significant civil engineering project to repair it because of the steepness of the road itself and the steepness of the ravine dropping away to the side.

AG_10494.jpg

It'd be a major blow to my local cycling to miss out on all this... :blush:

(don't know why the website owner thinks Widdop reservoir is called Thursden reservoir!)

PS I will. Enjoy my holiday that is... My bike was sent down to Penzance by courier yesterday and I'm going down first thing in the morning. Just plotting some cycling routes now to upload to my GPS!

Top Bottom