Caged bearings in a bb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
I have replaced the loose bearings in my bb with caged bearing because they were easier to fit but i have found that my bb does not run as smoothly with the caged bearing as it did with the loose bearings

I have fitted the caged bearings with the bearings facing inwards is that the correct way to do it ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like this:
1676896010777.png

Still from this video http://www.rjthebikeguy.com/videos/caged-bearings-which-direction-do-they-go/

THese ones are oriented correctly with respect to the cups. Pick the cup up and put it over the bearings. Imagine the spindle coming up from underneath.
1676896171975.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Guys - have you read the OP?

Gives a clue why the BB "doesn't run as well"
I kind of ignored the bit about the balls facing inwards because "inwards" "outwards" can get confused (well, they can by me at least)

I thought "If I've understood this right, they are the wrong way round. But there's a fair chance I haven't understood it right". So I figured it best to answer in picture form.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was told by long time mechanic that loose balls worked better and have not found him to be wrong, so this may be what your noticing.

@Fnaar

deuxfois

It's true that caged bearings are easy to fit, but filling the races with grease allows you to set the loose balls in place before inserting the axle. Slightly trickier, but it's not a job you expect to do very frequently. The advantage is that the considerable loads going through the bottom bracket (show us your mighty thews :blush:) are distributed among far more contact points, making for a longer bearing life.

That's the way I used to do it - until I discovered Shimano UN55 type cassette b/bs, which are easier, smoother, and last for years without adjustment or maintenance. Just make sure you buy the correct axle length!

Top Bottom