Calais to Annecy and Geneva

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
After 18 months of planning (it was a lockdown dream, rather than me being very disorganised), tomorrow we set off on our family ride from Calais to Annecy and then to Geneva! We get the boat to Calais and then are cycling for 12 days to Annecy with rest days in Chalons en Champagne and at the Lac de Chalain. Our 12-year-old son is going to be doing his biggest trip ever!!

I'm planning to do a crazyguy journal when I get home rather than update it whilst we're on the road but I'm sure I'll be on here over the next few weeks!!

The imminent challenge is getting onto the ferry. I think the situation has improved but I'll be glad when we start motoring out of Dover!

Slick

Guru
Sounds excellent, enjoy.👍

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have a great time! I did similar about 10 years ago, but must confess to using a motorised bike with a 900cc engine to help me along. It was amazing, and Annecy is spectacular. I routed through Luxembourg and Nancy on the way (started at Zeebrugge rather than Calais) and ended the journey at Monaco. I've always wanted to return to Annecy on a bike, and I am very envious right now!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After 18 months of planning (it was a lockdown dream, rather than me being very disorganised), tomorrow we set off on our family ride from Calais to Annecy and then to Geneva! We get the boat to Calais and then are cycling for 12 days to Annecy with rest days in Chalons en Champagne and at the Lac de Chalain. Our 12-year-old son is going to be doing his biggest trip ever!!

I'm planning to do a crazyguy journal when I get home rather than update it whilst we're on the road but I'm sure I'll be on here over the next few weeks!!

The imminent challenge is getting onto the ferry. I think the situation has improved but I'll be glad when we start motoring out of Dover!

Glad you are finally getting round to cycling around Annecy, @Cathryn. Sounds like quite an adventure actually cycling all the way there too. Hope it is as much fun as it promises to be. We chatted about Annecy a few years back as I've had four holidays there with my bike. If you want any tips as to the highlights of the area, feel free to message me. All the best.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Glad you are finally getting round to cycling around Annecy, @Cathryn. Sounds like quite an adventure actually cycling all the way there too. Hope it is as much fun as it promises to be. We chatted about Annecy a few years back as I've had four holidays there with my bike. If you want any tips as to the highlights of the area, feel free to message me. All the best.
Thank you! One day done! Loved it! So happy to finally be doing this!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Tried a couple of very VERY short sections of pavé today! Absolutely brutal! I am not Lizzie Deignan!!

F19D50FE-3CD1-4277-A2DF-CB7F896C2281.jpeg

What a wonderful route and an ideal and inspirational adventure for your youngster - it's what memories of made of. Before lockdown I cycled through the vineyards of Chalons en Champagne and was so tempted to try a few grapes but feared intoxication so didn't . Have a lovely holiday ^_^

IMG_0853.jpeg

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
What a wonderful route and an ideal and inspirational adventure for your youngster - it's what memories of made of. Before lockdown I cycled through the vineyards of Chalons en Champagne and was so tempted to try a few grapes but feared intoxication so didn't . Have a lovely holiday ^_^

View attachment 656375

We had a day off in chalons! What a gorgeous little town!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
We made it!!! It was literally a dream come true! I’ll do a CGOAB journal when we get home but for now we have a week here in heaven to enjoy!

View attachment 656369

View attachment 656370

View attachment 656368

Well done @Cathryn. Epic ride. I look forward to your write-up.

While you are there, if you fancy taking on a climb, I can recommend the Cote de Puget. Starting from the big roundabout in St Jorioz (next to "Marine Services" if it is still there), take the road to St Eustache. At what looks like the end of the road in a housing estate, the road turns left and quickly climbs up above the houses. There is a series of switchbacks on the grassy slopes, affording views of Lake Annecy that get better and better as you climb. Do it early morning and there is a very good chance of spotting deer in the clearings too. There are bigger, tougher climbs to be found in the area, but none that can rival this one for the uninterrupted views of the lake. When I first did it, I stopped for a photo, and a cyclist coming the other way said "C'est la recompense, eh?" It certainly was worth the climb, and I've done it every time I've gone back to Annecy since.

Another easier climb would be the Col de Tamie. This requires a ride along the greenway to Faverges, but is a steady, gentle climb past a castle, an abbey and the Fort de Tamie. If you carry on just past the turning for the fort (which is at the top) and drop down the other side a short distance towards Albertville, there is a great view of Mont Blanc to be had from the church in Mercurey.

If you fancy a tougher climb, you could try the Col de la Forclaz from Vesonne. This is quite steep at the bottom, and again at the hairpins in Montmin, so not suitable for everybody, but I guess you are all in really good shape by now. It is more wooded than some of the other climbs, but at Montmin it really opens out with good views of the peaks and the view from the top is a picture postcard beautiful helicopter view of the lake .... from just beneath the paragliding take-off point. If you do that, I can recommend the view (and the tartiflette!) at the Chalet La Pricaz just above the col on the opposite side of the road.

Once again, congratulations. Enjoy your time there. I'm envious.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Well done @Cathryn. Epic ride. I look forward to your write-up.

While you are there, if you fancy taking on a climb, I can recommend the Cote de Puget. Starting from the big roundabout in St Jorioz (next to "Marine Services" if it is still there), take the road to St Eustache. At what looks like the end of the road in a housing estate, the road turns left and quickly climbs up above the houses. There is a series of switchbacks on the grassy slopes, affording views of Lake Annecy that get better and better as you climb. Do it early morning and there is a very good chance of spotting deer in the clearings too. There are bigger, tougher climbs to be found in the area, but none that can rival this one for the uninterrupted views of the lake. When I first did it, I stopped for a photo, and a cyclist coming the other way said "C'est la recompense, eh?" It certainly was worth the climb, and I've done it every time I've gone back to Annecy since.

Another easier climb would be the Col de Tamie. This requires a ride along the greenway to Faverges, but is a steady, gentle climb past a castle, an abbey and the Fort de Tamie. If you carry on just past the turning for the fort (which is at the top) and drop down the other side a short distance towards Albertville, there is a great view of Mont Blanc to be had from the church in Mercurey.

If you fancy a tougher climb, you could try the Col de la Forclaz from Vesonne. This is quite steep at the bottom, and again at the hairpins in Montmin, so not suitable for everybody, but I guess you are all in really good shape by now. It is more wooded than some of the other climbs, but at Montmin it really opens out with good views of the peaks and the view from the top is a picture postcard beautiful helicopter view of the lake .... from just beneath the paragliding take-off point. If you do that, I can recommend the view (and the tartiflette!) at the Chalet La Pricaz just above the col on the opposite side of the road.

Once again, congratulations. Enjoy your time there. I'm envious.

I was shamefully lazy in Annecy. We did cycle round the lake and to/from the different beaches but it was nice having a break from the bike and my boys were reluctant to do any more challenges. Having taken the bus up Semnoz, I really wished I'd had time to cycle it as it's a cracking climb and a view at the top!!! Next time!

Top Bottom