Calcutta Cup 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noodley said:
....and the ref bottling the 'sin bin' decision :tongue:

"I've already warned you that next time you'll be off, so I'm warning you again - next time you'll be off"...

WTF is that all about!?

I thought he was going to send someone off and he didn't :smile: Very odd after the warning.

It wasn't a good game to watch though. England are dire. France should demolish them, though they could raise their game for that one and the wrong France turn up.

Scotland look to have all the pieces, if they could just put them together in one game.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Crackle said:
Scotland look to have all the pieces, if they could just put them together in one game.

Aye, if we get it all together in one game someone is gonna get a right hidin'

Then we need to do it over and over....

rich p said:
I've had enough of watching England. They are dull and dire and predictable. Johnson saying it's all about results and not about entertainment was the final nail for me.

With you there 100%, Rich! Dull, unimaginitive rugby played by a team with no passion or pride which has been a 'trademark' for far too many years. The game in general is nowhere near as skilful and entertaining as it was 20 years ago, and, to be honest, I don't give a toss about England's rugby union team!

Noodley said:
the front row need to sort themsleves out, the binding is pish and the number of collapsed scrums is shocking. I reckon the refs need to get hard and send a few to the sin bin

Problem with that is that if the ref does sinbin the guilty parties, then the scrums will become non-contested and even more farcical than they are at present.

I think, as a spectator sport, rugby union, as played by England and a few other teams, is a waste of time.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Dayvo said:
...the scrums will become non-contested and even more farcical than they are at present.

I'd get rid of 'non-contested' - chuck in a big jessie back and see how long they last :tongue:

'Luckily', I have to work next weekend and will miss my usual visit to Paris. I just read the report on sporting life...as with so many sports, even the replies to questions are formulaic. "We have got to take the positives from this, we always expected a closely contested game etc " - ad nauseam. Always big features in the press showing rippling muscles, belief in religion, 'my lovely herd of cows' etc - but, where is the performance? With England, it can't be a shortage of £ash!
I have watched a lot of rugby league at London Broncos / Harlequins and it was funny to hear references to 'the kick and clap brigade' - but I'm beginning to sympathise with that cry now...
"Too much Nintendo and not enough cold showers boy!"

I haven't seen one game this year.

rich p said:
Spurs done good though, Dayvo!:biggrin:

Indeed they did! :smile:

And England (cricket team) are stuffing Bangladesh! :tongue:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

It all makes me regret the incident with Sean Lineen, his 'girlfriend' (:biggrin:), the vicar, the vicar's wife and a few 'joints'...

:laugh::laugh:

...and dropping the Calcutta Cup in The White Hart :biggrin: (well, I did have 3 pints in my hand at the time..)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hugo15 said:
What a terrible game.

+ 1

As the game was winding down to the final whistle there was a comment that if it went on for another 80 minutes it was very unlikely there would be a try...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ok, it was pretty dire, but it wasn't that bad. The Calcutta Cup rarely produces classic displays of open, flowing rugby. Generally it's a teeth-gritted war of attrition between two teams desperate not to lose. And so it proved.

But at least it didn't descend into ping pong. At least there were some attempts to run. And the relative lack of entertainment reflected hard, committed, effective tackling by both teams. Like I say, no classic, but I've seen many worse. And it could have gone either way, right up to the end - that counts for something.

Keith Oates

Janner
Didn't see the match as the bar I was in decided to show football, needless to say that is one bar I'll not be keen to visit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom