Calderdale off-road forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 25th March 2023, 53 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm injured so will have to see how my recovery goes!
Last two days have been painful but I'm on the ment I can walk unaided now rather than counter / sofa surfing!!
Running? :whistle:

Heal fast, we have bridleways to ride! :okay:

I saw some stats the other day about injuries due to running. I can't remember the numbers but they were incredibly high!

Years ago I went into an outdoors shop and tried to buy some running shoes. The assistant said that he didn't think it was a good idea for someone of my age and size to start running over the terrain that we will be riding next Saturday, due to the very high risk of injury! I thought about it and decided that he was right...

I have guests coming this afternoon and around for the weekend so things might get put on hold until Tuesday. I will post a detailed gpx of the route then, take a roll call etc.

Dadam

I’m in two minds whether I can cope with this even with the motor. It provides a useful bit of assist but isn’t the torquiest. My bottom gear is a 36/32 and I’ve only done moderate hills so far. I did manage a 14% in bottom gear and max assist but it was short.

My previous longest ride was 23 miles with 1500ft of climbing.

How bad are the worst bits?

Jameshow

Veteran
Running? :whistle:

Heal fast, we have bridleways to ride! :okay:

I saw some stats the other day about injuries due to running. I can't remember the numbers but they were incredibly high!

Years ago I went into an outdoors shop and tried to buy some running shoes. The assistant said that he didn't think it was a good idea for someone of my age and size to start running over the terrain that we will be riding next Saturday, due to the very high risk of injury! I thought about it and decided that he was right...

I have guests coming this afternoon and around for the weekend so things might get put on hold until Tuesday. I will post a detailed gpx of the route then, take a roll call etc.

Yeap!! 🤕

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am still trying to finish fettling the damn bike! I have a bleed kit arriving tomorrow. If that sorts the rear brake out then the bike should be good to go, though I won't be sure until I have done a test ride on it. I will let you know ASAP.

So, it is looking like it will be me, with some or all of @FrothNinja, @Dadam, @Vantage and @Jameshow? Anybody else who fancies meandering around the hills is welcome to join us as long as you are happy to take it easy.

I’m in two minds whether I can cope with this even with the motor. It provides a useful bit of assist but isn’t the torquiest. My bottom gear is a 36/32 and I’ve only done moderate hills so far. I did manage a 14% in bottom gear and max assist but it was short.

My previous longest ride was 23 miles with 1500ft of climbing.

How bad are the worst bits?
There is a longish drag up from Hardcastle Crags - I calculate that to be about 3/4 mile at 9%. There is a steeper ramp up towards Blackshaw Head - about 1/2 mile at just under 12%. There is one short steeper climb roughly equivalent to your 14% ramp. TBH - if you had to walk half of that it would only take a couple of minutes.

The only hill worse than your 14% ramp would have been that cobbled lane up to Old Chamber. Let's forget about tackling that and just freewheel back down into Hebden Bridge! That cuts a mile from the length of the ride and about 200 ft of steep ascent. I have also cut a couple of other little bits which brings the total down to 50 km (31miles). :okay:

I have attached a GPX track of this modified route.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• CycleChat Calderdale offroad ride Mar 2023 50 km.gpx
    28.8 KB · Views: 5

FrothNinja

Veteran
I am still trying to finish fettling the damn bike! I have a bleed kit arriving tomorrow. If that sorts the rear brake out then the bike should be good to go, though I won't be sure until I have done a test ride on it. I will let you know ASAP.

So, it is looking like it will be me, with some or all of @FrothNinja, @Dadam, @Vantage and @Jameshow? Anybody else who fancies meandering around the hills is welcome to join us as long as you are happy to take it easy.

There is a longish drag up from Hardcastle Crags - I calculate that to be about 3/4 mile at 9%. There is a steeper ramp up towards Blackshaw Head - about 1/2 mile at just under 12%. There is one short steeper climb roughly equivalent to your 14% ramp. TBH - if you had to walk half of that it would only take a couple of minutes.

The only hill worse than your 14% ramp would have been that cobbled lane up to Old Chamber. Let's forget about tackling that and just freewheel back down into Hebden Bridge! That cuts a mile from the length of the ride and about 200 ft of steep ascent. I have also cut a couple of other little bits which brings the total down to 50 km (31miles). :okay:

GPX viewer

If I come I fully intend to bring all of me ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If I come I fully intend to bring all of me ;)
Ho ho - me too!

Will anybody be carrying a lock? The cafe is probably as safe as they come and we could sit outside with the bikes if it isn't too cold, but it would be sensible to lock them in case we sit indoors. I have a massive d-lock which I use when shopping on the bike but I'm not going to lug that around all day!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'll bring mine. Got my holibob dates wrong. We don't leave till 27th so as long as I have the money to get there and back and if the weather is dry (not keen on dragging a manky filthy bike into the trains) I'll be there.
I may possibly be bringing all of me.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

so as long as I have the money to get there and back and if the weather is dry (not keen on dragging a manky filthy bike into the trains) I'll be there.
I suspect that the weather might be a bit iffy! If it looked terrible then I would postpone the ride, but if it were just going to be a bit damp then I'd probably go ahead.

Dadam

GPX viewer

Thanks for that Colin. I've followed most of it round on streetview and it looks challenging in places and amazing in equal measure; stunning scenery. I think it's doable at a sensible pace with the odd rest stop.

Reckon I'll be using the top assist level a lot, so I better make sure I charge it up on Friday night. I usually only charge to 80%-ish for longevity but I think this warrants a full tank!

I'll be throwing the bike in the back of the car. Is it best to park in the Station Road car park or the station car park, or elsewhere?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
This looks like a great ride, but sadly I don't have a bike suitable & I'm working :sad: Also checked my diary for the weekend after Easter & I'm on late shifts all weekend, so I'll miss the Garforth ride too. But with a pending house move, I'm probably going to be busy with other things for a few weeks :blush:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks for that Colin. I've followed most of it round on streetview and it looks challenging in places and amazing in equal measure; stunning scenery. I think it's doable at a sensible pace with the odd rest stop.
I haven't mentioned it yet, but I had intended to... there used to be a great little shop on Edge Lane which we will be riding along - May's Farm Shop. We can call in there and buy a Coke (whatever) if it is open.

I'll be throwing the bike in the back of the car. Is it best to park in the Station Road car park or the station car park, or elsewhere?
Some riders used the Station Rd car park last time, or you could try and find a space on the A646 and save yourself a few quid!

If @Vantage does come then he will be coming by train. I will cycle over from Todmorden. We could meet up at the Park Life cafe in the park where the bowling green used to be, in case anybody wants a coffee while they wait for me to arrive? There is a little path beside the car park down into the park.

This looks like a great ride, but sadly I don't have a bike suitable & I'm working :sad: Also checked my diary for the weekend after Easter & I'm on late shifts all weekend, so I'll miss the Garforth ride too. But with a pending house move, I'm probably going to be busy with other things for a few weeks :blush:
Shucks! Hopefully see you on the Humber Bridge ride in the summer? (No date for that ride yet, but it will be when we have plenty of daylight hours and best chance of decent weather.)

Top Bottom