Calderdale off-road forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Saturday, 25th March 2023, 53 km (33 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just looking at my mucky bike and thinking that I would give it a good clean tomorrow, then I noticed that the rear tyre has gone flat... I'm really glad that didn't happen up on the moors in one of those heavy showers!

I remember seeing one small patch of broken glass on the way back from Hebden Bridge but I thought that I had avoided it all. I'll fix it tomorrow and see if I can find what caused it.

Jameshow

Veteran
Cracking write up @ColinJ!

Col forgot to mention we had coffee and flapjack at the fourth cafe we tried, the others being closed! ^_^

Here's my few boring photos

Gawp at Gorple
View attachment 683205

View attachment 683206

Weird owl statue on pole. Back of Col's head
View attachment 683207

View attachment 683208

Valley rainbow
View attachment 683210

Panorama with rainbow
View attachment 683211

2 weeks ago I ran round there!!

Dadam

Am I the first to notice the map of this route looks like a yappy cartoon dog?! :laugh:

1679908247270.png

View attachment 683153

I rode home on the towpath but carried the bike over those silly plank bridges. The authorities spent a lot of money resurfacing the towpath recently. Why on earth didn't they widen the bridges while they were at it! Not only are the planks cyclist-hostile, they are also totally useless to the disabled and parents with children in buggies.

Great write up! I was further eastword that saturday and saw how miserable it looked out in the morning, it brightened up for me later in the day though I know Calder has it's own weather systems so not sure if that happened for you.

Side comment on the plank bridges - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news...improvement-works-completed-on-rochdale-canal. I've actually just dropped an email to CanalRiverTrust asking if there are any plans to widen those plank bridges.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was further eastword that saturday and saw how miserable it looked out in the morning, it brightened up for me later in the day though I know Calder has it's own weather systems so not sure if that happened for you.
It did brighten up for us but we still had the odd light shower later. It was windy all day, at first hindering us, but starting to help us at times later.

Side comment on the plank bridges - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news...improvement-works-completed-on-rochdale-canal. I've actually just dropped an email to CanalRiverTrust asking if there are any plans to widen those plank bridges.
Good thinking. I will do the same later.

It is no use just sticking up a sign saying. "Cyclists dismount" if the cyclists can't then wheel the bike!

I did actually walk the bike over over one spillway and once again slipped on the slimy cobbles, as well as getting wet feet.

It is extremely difficult to wheel a bike over the planks themselves. I tried and my bike rolled off. I also tried wheeling the bike over the cobbles while walking the planks, which felt really awkward.

My MTB weighs about 14 kg (31 lbs) and was a big lump to carry but that is what I ended up doing. I doubt that anybody would want to carry an ebike weighing 20+ kg!

As it is now, after a million pounds spent, the towpath is only completely suitable for able-bodied pedestrians! It is a real pity because the new surface is great to walk and cycle on.

Wider bridges are possible. The first one at the Todmorden end is wide enough to cycle over and probably also suitable for wheelchairs, children's buggies, and walkers with balance issues. (Do we really want frail old ramblers falling from height onto cobbles by forcing them to 'walk the plank'?)

I will go back and take more photos to include in my email.

If @wiggydiggy and I don't get reasonable responses then I will start a campaign to get the changes made. (If there already is one then they need to try harder because I have not heard of it!)

Jameshow

Veteran
It did brighten up for us but we still had the odd light shower later. It was windy all day, at first hindering us, but starting to help us at times later.

Good thinking. I will do the same later.

It is no use just sticking up a sign saying. "Cyclists dismount" if the cyclists can't then wheel the bike!

I did actually walk the bike over over one spillway and once again slipped on the slimy cobbles, as well as getting wet feet.

It is extremely difficult to wheel a bike over the planks themselves. I tried and my bike rolled off. I also tried wheeling the bike over the cobbles while walking the planks, which felt really awkward.

My MTB weighs about 14 kg (31 lbs) and was a big lump to carry but that is what I ended up doing. I doubt that anybody would want to carry an ebike weighing 20+ kg!

As it is now, after a million pounds spent, the towpath is only completely suitable for able-bodied pedestrians! It is a real pity because the new surface is great to walk and cycle on.

Wider bridges are possible. The first one at the Todmorden end is wide enough to cycle over and probably also suitable for wheelchairs, children's buggies, and walkers with balance issues. (Do we really want frail old ramblers falling from height onto cobbles by forcing them to 'walk the plank'?)

I will go back and take more photos to include in my email.

If @wiggydiggy and I don't get reasonable responses then I will start a campaign to get the changes made. (If there already is one then they need to try harder because I have not heard of it!)

I would put the bike up on end on the rear wheel - much more manageable.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I would put the bike up on end on the rear wheel - much more manageable.

I did try that but is a big lump that was awkward to direct that way so I gave up.

The towpath upgrade took an awfully long time to complete. (I think the pandemic may have been responsible for delays?) When it was finished I went along expecting that all of the plank bridges would have been converted to wider ones like the one in Todmorden. I was astonished to discover that they had not been touched!

It has just occurred to me that the plank bridges might be 'listed' structures which are not supposed to be changed. I suppose we will find out eventually!

I would love this to be sorted out because the towpath is a great way of avoiding the busy A646 to Hebden Bridge.

PS One thing that I should have said is that the cobbles are much less of a problem when dry, though still iffy to ride on skinny tyres. At least the spillways are safer to walk over then. We have had a lot of rain recently so that is not currently the case!

..........It has just occurred to me that the plank bridges might be 'listed' structures which are not supposed to be changed. I suppose we will find out eventually!......

I would love this to be sorted out because the towpath is a great way of avoiding the busy A646 to Hebden Bridge.

PS One thing that I should have said is that the cobbles are much less of a problem when dry, though still iffy to ride on skinny tyres. At least the spillways are safer to walk over then. We have had a lot of rain recently so that is not currently the case!

Maybe not listed as such but just (and I'd agree) CRT keen to retain the original features. A wider plank though at least shouldn't impact it too much.

EDIT
Canal and River Trust replied already, it is as I thought and they want to preserve (rightly) the cobbled section and weirs as they as as much as possible, but they are aware the current access accross them is restrictive for many users. They are working on it so hopefully something will still improve on them
EDIT ENDS

Back to the bikes though lol What was @FrothNinja riding? I've looked up the Focus bike website and they are definately bikes I'd aspire to upgrading to.

Last edited:

Dadam

Back to the bikes though lol What was @FrothNinja riding? I've looked up the Focus bike website and they are definately bikes I'd aspire to upgrading to.

Agreed, I liked the look of Froth's bike so much I've changed my next ebike wishlist item from a mid-drive gravel bike to one of those or something very like it. I believe it's an Aventura2, like this, though I don't know the spec level

PS I don't think that was the image you wanted to post! ;)

Agreed, I liked the look of Froth's bike so much I've changed my next ebike wishlist item from a mid-drive gravel bike to one of those or something very like it. I believe it's an Aventura2, like this, though I don't know the spec level

PS I don't think that was the image you wanted to post! ;)

Yeah I think so too. The Raleigh Motus Tour I'm on is a class below that Focus.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

EDIT
Canal and River Trust replied already, it is as I thought and they want to preserve (rightly) the cobbled section and weirs as they as as much as possible, but they are aware the current access accross them is restrictive for many users. They are working on it so hopefully something will still improve on them
EDIT ENDS
Ah, I won't bother writing to them then! Fingers crossed that they can sort things out.

Top Bottom