Calf Muscles..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Not been riding long and my thigh muscles are improving OK but my calf muscles seem to be a bit slow on the uptake.. any tips on excercises that would help them improve them a bit more.

tyred

Legendary Member
It takes time, but don't overdo it and fit in a few rest days now and again.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
This maybe stupid advise but what about running? I took up running then a year later started cycling, my calfs are the last thing to go!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some people naturally develop big calf muscles. I don't have to do much cycling or hill walking for mine to get big and strong but my quads are relatively 'slow on the uptake'. I've got one friend whose legs are similar to mine, but a much fitter cycling pal never gets big leg muscles no matter how much cycling he does - his muscles just get fitter and stronger.

karl61

if it's bigger calf muscles you are after, only 1 way to go, you gotta train them with resistance, feed em and rest em.and just a thought, you are continually walking using your calf muscles so they need some hammering.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Building muscles on legs is a open subject ,all depends on riding style,ie fast at a high cadence on a carbon or heavy mtb,and so on,my thighs are large,my abductors visible and my calves are not big but formed,my over shoes are loose around them,and I ride up to 200 miles a week,at various speeds,will running help not in my experience,I get more injuries from running and cycling due to tight muscles, and I make sure I keep stretching,so what's the answer gym work?running? I prefer to go with the flow I want to continue to build speed as my endurance is good,so what will be will be ,may be think along the pro lines a sprinter =big explosive thighs ,time trial= sleek formed groups etc,you can't be every thing,so the million dollar question is what is your goal,

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Building muscles on legs is a open subject
Not really, it's just done over so often 95% of the muppets who chime in on the subject don't bother reading the thread or indeed thinking for themselves.
all depends on riding style,ie fast at a high cadence on a carbon or heavy mtb,and so on,
What?
my thighs are large,my abductors visible and my calves are not big but formed,my over shoes are loose around them,and I ride up to 200 miles a week,at various speeds,
That's great.
I get more injuries from running and cycling due to tight muscles, and I make sure I keep stretching,so what's the answer gym work?running?
Why would gym work be the answer to fixing inability to perform in an impact sport?
I prefer to go with the flow I want to continue to build speed as my endurance is good,so what will be will be
,may be think along the pro lines a sprinter =big explosive thighs ,time trial= sleek formed groups etc,you can't be every thing,so the million dollar question is what is your goal,
The ability to sprint is something you are very much born with. You either have it or you don't.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Well my thigh muscles have increased but my calf muscles haven't..
I have to say I should of measured them from the start but I never thought of it when I started riding..

I suppose the top part of my legs have increased in size but the bottom part of my legs dont look any different?

I don't see why that should matter. If you want awesome-looking legs, go to the gym and push weights. If you want to improve your cycling performance, keep cycling.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
It also might be worth checking you have your bike set up correctly.

The bike shop I got my bike from is a well informed so I'm told by all the people that said go there.. they took leg, inside leg, arm, arm reach, height, weight, just about every measurement you could think of..
Plus it has a race team which the shop supports so I'm happy in that respect that they know what they are doing.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Some people naturally develop big calf muscles. I don't have to do much cycling or hill walking for mine to get big and strong but my quads are relatively 'slow on the uptake'. I've got one friend whose legs are similar to mine, but a much fitter cycling pal never gets big leg muscles no matter how much cycling he does - his muscles just get fitter and stronger.
That has put my mind at rest.. :smile:

Top Bottom