Call for a fairer justice system for ALL road users...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just received a pointer from Newcastle Cycling Campaign to bolster the effort to make the government take more notice of the call to Lord Chancellor to launch a comprehensive review of the justice system and how it operates when people are hurt or killed on the road... http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ca...o-support-our-campaign-for-a-justice-review-0
I for one am definitely supporting this given the amount of incidents we now hear about and the cursory punishment meted out to drivers.

On a further note, this could easily call for compulsory basic cycle training for road users - both pedal and motorised - an awareness perspective for drivers and an ability perspective from cyclists.

Your thoughts?...

tadpole

I’ve been saying for years, that before you can apply for a car driving licence you should have one year’s minimum experience on a motorbike. I haven’t ridden a motorbike for 24 years, but still “think bike” Maybe that could be extended to before getting any kind of motor licence you should ride a bike on the roads. And if you survive you can go on to the next stage.
And if you lose your licence on points you have to start again on a pushbike for a year, then motorbike before getting anywhere near car.

I’ve been saying for years, that before you can apply for a car driving licence you should have one year’s minimum experience on a motorbike. I haven’t ridden a motorbike for 24 years, but still “think bike” Maybe that could be extended to before getting any kind of motor licence you should ride a bike on the roads. And if you survive you can go on to the next stage.
And if you lose your licence on points you have to start again on a pushbike for a year, then motorbike before getting anywhere near car.

This is something I've wondered about in the past, but I do not believe it is practicable.

I am in no doubt that just as drivers who have cycled will be more aware of how bicycles are ridden, so cyclists who have driven will be more aware of how cars are driven. I think this exends across to motorcycles, HGVs and PSVs. Not that we'd all be wonderful if we'd ridden or driven all modes, but that we'd be better among other traffic if we had.

But having said I think it unworkable to insist, I need another solution. I do think more time might be spent (both in driver training and during the test) on dealing with other modes of transport on and around the road system.

I am not an expert and have no idea how this would be done, but I'll just wave my arms around like the liberal I am and say "It would be a jolly good idea if..."

Pauluk

tadpole said:
before you can apply for a car driving licence you should have one year’s minimum experience on a motorbike

What a ridiculous idea. I did everything possible to dissuade my sons, when they were younger, to give motorbikes a miss. Fortunately it worked and my daughter has never shown an interest in motorbikes.

I do believe more should be done to educate road users but making them ride motorbikes isn't the way.

GrasB

Veteran
Problem with this is some of the most anti-cyclists drivers who rant & rave about dangerous cyclists once they get on their bikes are the most about dangerous cyclists you'll see on the roads. Note the true irony of that sentence!

Top Bottom