"Call yourself a cyclist"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Console yourself with the knowledge that those car drivers, cooped up in their miserable smelly boxes with their fat guts flopping over their belts will be moaning at just about everybody and everything else on the road as well; school crossing supervisors, potholes, traffic lights, slow drivers, boy racers, fog light abusers, anybody who looks foreign, zigzag parkers, yellow line parkers, pavement parkers, double parkers, crooked supermarket space parkers, furry dice and "baby on board" notices, tailgaters, smokey exhausts, minicabs taking liberties.... we are in great company!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[Dons flameproof suit!] I sometimes pass red lights when on my bicycle!
As has been alluded to in another current thread people have very different levels of awareness to their surroundings, so if anyone asked my advice I will always say 'don't jump red lights'. If that person goes ahead and does it anyway then gets involved in a collision I don't expect them to come back to me complaining about it because they know I jump red lights. They are the ones that had a collision through doing something dangerous, not me (please note the use of the word dangerous instead of illegal, that is a very intentional distinction).
Some people (cyclists) will forever be having incidents, accidents and mishaps. You might call them unlucky when actually the real issue is a lower level of awareness. I'm not saying that as a criticism, we are all different after all, but I am not going to be that angry guy sat at the lights shouting at anyone that breaks the 'rules'.
EDIT: breaks/brakes :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I jump red lights every day, but only because the roads around here are so poorly designed they either

a) Lights don't pick up bikes waiting.
b) Lights don't give long enough for bikes.
c) Have an off road cycle path that starts 2 metres after the stop line.

If I had unlimited time to waste at traffic lights I would wait but I would far rather be setting the alarm later.

30holcw.gif

Burn him, burn him. Then get up earlier.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Failing that, write to the council and tell them the lights are faulty.
I have, they say they have sent out an engineer and it is all working as intended because it is on "fixed timings", even though it changes straight away for cars.

Basically "it's just a cyclist complaint".

Top Bottom