Callander Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebuddy

Über Member
AAAArrrrggghhhhh.................... I eh!................don't know.......!!!!!!!!

If the weather;s like this weekend...! that'll be a eh no ta. But, .................

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I'm only signed up for the 54, I'll be out most days next week to build up my climbing legs so 87 isn't appealing to me

Somebuddy

Über Member
Hey Guys, How did you get on yesterday?

For those interested, this is my experience of my first Sportive.

I knew that we were in for some wet weather, so I diverted enroute to Callander, to Halfords and bought myself a pair of overshoes. I've had a pair of cheap ones, from Aldi, before that lasted one storm and were not that great. These ones looked good, but did not keep my feet dry. Altura make. Not sure if they helped and the water came up from underneath or that they were just a waste of money. Most riders were wearing a pair of overshoes of some description. Mmm, the jury is out on that one!
I had signed up for the long route of 87 miles, but that wasn't looking likely. I would need to set off earlier than 8:30 so I wisely decided to do the medium route of 54 miles. It sounds better in kilometres.....
I had booked a hotel in Callander to avoid the gotta get there red mist mentality and crazy driving, thinking I'm gonna be late etc etc. The hotel didn't do breakfast until 8 o'clock and I couldn't cycle a distance without breaky, so it was the right choice to do the medium route. Have breakfast and then head round 2 minutes away to registration. The hotel didn't offer evening dinner. so it was the chippy for a fat boy supper.
The event was very well organised. On the website and on the day it was highlighted.... THIS IS NOT A RACE......, but they give you a timing chip on your helmet. They clock your time of leaving and returning so you can check your time online afterwards. Mmm! I'm not a racing snake and didn't much care for how fast I completed the course, just that I did complete it was my goal. I got the impression that most riders were in groups of friends doing it together. I on the other hand rode on my own and only had occasional chat in the passing with one or two. I wish I had arranged to meet up with some of the guys on this thread who were attending. I found it a bit lonely riding on my own all day. There was food stops/ refreshment tents set up at 20, 40 & 60 miles. They were well stocked with energy gels, fruit, cake, juice etc. and a mechanic was on hand if you had any problems with your bike. The route was hilly in parts and I found it challenging. I was wet, cold and glad to finish and get a hot shower which was also arranged at the local leisure centre, which was the start/ finish point.
Those registering 8 weeks in advance also got a free box of energy bars and gels from high5.
So overall, it was a good event, if only it hadn't rained. I notice that Evans cycles only have one more in Scotland and several down south.

Dibs

Veteran
It was fun eh? ^_^

I ended up going at just before 9am. Weather obviously wasn't great and I was wrapped more than I would have liked. Despite struggling at 40 miles, I managed to plug away and get the 87 miles done.

Only downside was I missed a turn in Doune, so ended up cycling all the way to Callander along the main road (had gone to far when I realised something was wrong).

So although I didn't do the full route, I amended my route to ensure I got the 87 miles done. I finished it in 7hrs 14mins.

Overall very enjoyable - but I now know for sure, I need a new saddle... :blink:

Somebuddy

Über Member
P.S. I forgot to mention that I was really impressed with my Garmin Edge Touring. I had used it before now to record my rides, but this was the first time that I had downloaded a GPX file to it and used it to follow the route. The rider has the choice of 3 screens: Time, distance & speed OR compass OR maps. I was pretty OK with the geography of where I was going so chose to keep it on Time, distance & speed screen. When I approached a junction the unit switches to maps screen and has a big arrow showing which way you are to go and has a count down to the auction in both seconds to go and distance to the junction. I liked it a lot.

Top Bottom