Calling all cycling photographers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
@SatNavSaysStraightOn that backpack sounds a lot like my old Orion Trekker except it wasn't all-weather. It wouldn't have taken a pro body with a lens attached though.

For easy access I sometimes use a Topeak TriBag to carry my Canon Powershot G9 which is slightly larger than the G15 and fits perfectly. Got a 3rd party 58mm mount for a C-PL.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
To be honest I'm more worried about the weight. The 5D Mk3 with the L lens is a hefty bit of kit but with the right backpack and for the miles I'd do, I think it would be ok. My equipment is insured.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn, the pack you had sounds very much like the photo sport 200aw I've seen.
I like the fact I can carry a lightweight jacket or some food as well, and the inner pack (that holds the camera) is removable so it can be used as a daypack.

If you are very rich.......

p96e.jpg

IIRC about £200 for the whole setup!

Crankarm

Guru
I think the biggest reason for not taking a big heavy expensive looking dslr and lenses on a long cycles tour is the risk of theft and marking yourself out as some one worth robbing. You can't guard your belongings 24/7 and even if you are the very careful type you could still find yourself in a difficult situation if some has seen the kit you have and has decided to take it from with or without force. For me a high quality point and shoot camera is preferable, something that can easily be got out so you are able to take pictures quickly and without hassle and then some thing that can be put away quickly either into a pocket or bag bag out of harms way. You don't want your camera kit to be controlling you or taking over from the main purpose which I guess is your cycle tour. Just my 2ps worth. I use a little Sony cybershot with Carl Zeiss lens which has a semi manual mode giving me a bit more control than the automatic mode. The lens is pretty sharp and I struggle some times to distinguish the quality between this and my dslr with pro lenses.

Crankarm

Guru
To be honest I'm more worried about the weight. The 5D Mk3 with the L lens is a hefty bit of kit but with the right backpack and for the miles I'd do, I think it would be ok. My equipment is insured.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn, the pack you had sounds very much like the photo sport 200aw I've seen.
I like the fact I can carry a lightweight jacket or some food as well, and the inner pack (that holds the camera) is removable so it can be used as a daypack.

TBH there is no way I would take such a valuable piece of kit cycle touring, maybe in the UK I might, but definitely not if riding in far flung lands. I would just be worrying the whole time about losing it whether leaving it somewhere, being robbed or if it went wrong I would still have to carry it! The weight would be considerable. Then you'd have to worry about sufficient battery power and charging without cooking your batteries on some dodgy power supply which means investing in a decent charging system on your bike whether hub based or solar cells. Then you'd want the tablet or laptop to do all the photo editing and soon you are carrying one hell of a lot of valuable kit which more than likely will fail at some point adding to your frustration!

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
TBH there is no way I would take such a valuable piece of kit cycle touring, maybe in the UK I might, but definitely not if riding in far flung lands. I would just be worrying the whole time about losing it whether leaving it somewhere, being robbed or if it went wrong I would still have to carry it! The weight would be considerable. Then you'd have to worry about sufficient battery power and charging without cooking your batteries on some dodgy power supply which means investing in a decent charging system on your bike whether hub based or solar cells. Then you'd want the tablet or laptop to do all the photo editing and soon you are carrying one hell of a lot of valuable kit which more than likely will fail at some point adding to your frustration!
I'm holidaying in the UK :smile:
We can't go abroad due to my son's disabilities. We're not touring, I'm just taking my MTB with me for the week as there's a couple of nice places to cycle with the boy which won't be too taxing for him.
I am still considering my options, but I know I would regret just taking the small Nikon as I get frustrated not having full control of the settings - my big camera lives on 'manual'!

edindave

Über Member
To be honest I'm more worried about the weight. The 5D Mk3 with the L lens is a hefty bit of kit but with the right backpack and for the miles I'd do, I think it would be ok.

The weight on the back is my biggest concern. I've tramped around on foot all day many's a day quite happily with a backpack carrying multiple L glass, weighty body, and tripod. The difference is the weight is distributed evenly down your body through your hips, and the muscles in your legs act as shock absorbers. That sort of weight on your back, on a bike, weighs awkwardly on your angled back and the only shock absorber is effectively your sit bones [edit: and I suppose your arms to an extent]. I suffered carrying a body and one lens after a 40mi round trip. My lower back, shoulders and neck really felt it.

If you are going to take the gear I really would advise getting the weight off you and onto the bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
The Nikon has to go :boxing: trade it in for a G series Powershot ;)
I'd like a better small camera but can't afford it :sad:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
The weight on the back is my biggest concern. I've tramped around on foot all day many's a day quite happily with a backpack carrying multiple L glass, weighty body, and tripod. The difference is the weight is distributed evenly down your body through your hips, and the muscles in your legs act as shock absorbers. That sort of weight on your back, on a bike, weighs awkwardly on your angled back and the only shock absorber is effectively your sit bones [edit: and I suppose your arms to an extent]. I suffered carrying a body and one lens after a 40mi round trip. My lower back, shoulders and neck really felt it.

If you are going to take the gear I really would advise getting the weight off you and onto the bike.
Noted.
The big gear will still be going but I may just take my Nikon on any cycling trips.

I'm holidaying in the UK :smile:
We can't go abroad due to my son's disabilities. We're not touring, I'm just taking my MTB with me for the week as there's a couple of nice places to cycle with the boy which won't be too taxing for him.
I am still considering my options, but I know I would regret just taking the small Nikon as I get frustrated not having full control of the settings - my big camera lives on 'manual'!

This is why I use the small Olympus SZ31 MR

It has a Program mode that allows many of the features to be changed, as well as a series of filters. NOt a complete manula, but it does allow you to prioritise aperture, shutter etc and select settings

Also has the same 16m Pixel censor that some of the DSLRs use

Finally there is the "Live View" where you can change image saturation, contrast, brightness and warmth on the touch panel prior to shooting

Crankarm

Guru
I know what you mean. My G9 is 5 models out of date!

You don't need the most all singing all dancing piece of kit to take good pictures. Creativity, composition and light are far more important. You can take fabulous images even with an i-phone as one photographer did photographing the Libyan uprising which won him BFP Photographer of the Year several years ago. His images were outstanding, just cannot remember his name. Had he been using a bulky dslr with pro lenses he would likely have been attacked/lynched as some westerners were.

Last edited:

edindave

Über Member
You don't need the most all singing all dancing piece of kit to take good pictures. Creativity, composition and light are far more important. You can take fabulous images even with an i-phone as one photographer did photographing the Libyan uprising which one him BFP photographer of the year several years ago. His images were outstanding, just cannot remember his name. Had he been using a bulky dslr with pro lenses he would likely have been attacked/lynched as some westerners were.

Preaching to the converted. But the 1 1/3 stops faster lens and wifi on the latest model would be nice to have!

Top Bottom