Calling all cycling photographers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I have two Tamrac backpacks for my photography gear.
A large one which holds a camera body, lenses, flash, filters, cables etc.
Sometimes it is slung in the car so I can decant what I need from it into my smaller one, but usually I can get most of what I may need into the smaller one.
The smaller one is heavy for it's size but has a top compartment for personal stuff, which I like. I took it to Canada with me and it was great in terms of what I could carry, but it wasn't the most comfortable thing to lug about all day!

I have been looking about for something lighter, which would be suitable for taking with me on the MTB when needed (thinking of my upcoming holiday, when I know I'll want the camera with me).

I am swaying towards the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW or the Flipside Sport.
Do you carry any photography equipment and if so, what do you use? Any recommendations?
It would have to be big enough to accommodate a Canon 5D Mk3 with 24-105 L lens attached.
If it had room for another lens or two that would be good but not essential. Weight and comfort are the important factors!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I couldn't be bothered to carry all that stuff around, especially on a bike. I recently got a Sony RX100 compact and it is brilliant. I don't think you would get very much better results from a SLR.
image.jpg

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I couldn't be bothered to carry all that stuff around, especially on a bike. I recently got a Sony RX100 compact and it is brilliant. I don't think you would get very much better results from a SLR.
View attachment 41129
I have a little Nikon Coolpix, which gives quite nice results, but as I'll be taking the big camera on holiday as usual, and this time, the bike as well, I thought I may as well get a backpack fit for purpose.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Remember if you use a backpack for any distance it will make your back quite sweaty!
Wouldn't be doing a lot of distance....20-50 miles max.
Also the packs I'm looking at have airflow backs, it's more for protecting the equipment and maybe carrying a little food/cycle related stuff.

edindave

Über Member
Unless you've got panniers I'd stick with a compact. I made the mistake of sticking a 1D3 and 70-200L IS lens in a backpack and cycling 40+ miles to Gifford last year to capture some shots of the road race. I was in agony when I got home.

Edit: If your MTB will take a rack then a rack mounted bag might be a possible solution?
Problem I have with that is I wouldn't really want my dSLR taking all the bumps and shocks.

J4MIE_P

As with above its a lot to carry for anything over 10 miles I'd say.

I personally use about 10 different bags for different things but always keep coming back to my Flipside 400aw.
I can only assume the sport would be more suitable whilst still keeping that amazing comfortability

Colin B

IMO pack light take an alround lens and not 2 or 3 spare battery maybe monopod or gorilla . If it was me though i wouldn't be packing all the expensive DSLR stuff cos I'd be too worried about breaking it I'd pack my Fuji finepix and a cheap light weight tripod because the enjoyment of then ride comes first and a bonus is a snap or two along the way

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Unless you've got panniers I'd stick with a compact. I made the mistake of sticking a 1D3 and 70-200L IS lens in a backpack and cycling 40+ miles to Gifford last year to capture some shots of the road race. I was in agony when I got home.

Edit: If your MTB will take a rack then a rack mounted bag might be a possible solution?
Problem I have with that is I wouldn't really want my dSLR taking all the bumps and shocks.
Yeah I was thinking about if I had an off....all my equipment is insured but still...!
I may still get something suitable for the big camera but only use it for very short treks.
I can't do anything technical these days and where we're going on holiday will be pretty tame as my 13yr old will be cycling with us.
If I'm doing anything else I'll take the little Nikon :smile:

I have a number of cameras that I use depending on my plans.

The main camera is aan Olympus Pen EPL5, very powerful for its size and shoots great pictures, along with a telephoto lens. The tilting viewfinder screen is also a bonus

The other camera is a weatherproofed Pentax K50 again with a telephoto lens, much bulkier but better if the weather is poor

Both of these fit in the bar bag on an upright or in a rack box on the recumbents

MY "grab" camera is the Olympus SZ31 MR, which is a high performing compact that fills most of my needs for day to day use.

I also carry a light tripod

I tour/toured with the 5D mk ii and 24-105mm lens (plus a 70-200mm lens and filters). I have a dedicated waterproof bag that is also a crush bag which I have added some additional padding to. It fits into my Ortlieb rackpack that goes across the top of my rear panniers. It has survived several falls without incident, but I will add my camera insurance know I tour with the camera and it is on my T&C's etc. I would not want to be riding with it on my back in any of the dedicated camera rucksacks I have come across, but if I had to choose one, then it would be the very last one I had before I left on tour 3 years ago. I can't remember the exact model (shall have to see if I can find it for you) but it was Lowepro, with a weather proof cover and had a compartment for clothing above the camera area as well as an area to stuff things into under a strap... I 've just had a quick peep on their website but can't see anything similar - it was made from recycled materials as well... might make it easier to track down - just remembered that bit.

When out cycling now, I carry my Canon Powershot G15 which is excellent and will take a polarising filter. I keep it in a well padded saddle bag (on both my road bike and my mountain bike) and use canon's own hard case to carry it in... It shoots in RAW and was what most of my Scotland holiday photos were taken on (a couple were on the 5D mk ii)

Top Bottom