Calling all Helmet Cam Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Well I'm not sure what other people think but I see some of the head cam users riding in what I consider an unsafe fashion. Down the centre of the road past queuing traffic towards oncoming traffic? A big No from me.

As advanced motorcyclists are taught to do.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well I'm not sure what other people think but I see some of the head cam users riding in what I consider an unsafe fashion. Down the centre of the road past queuing traffic towards oncoming traffic? A big No from me.

I see riders every day riding in what I'd call an unsafe fashion. Some of them dont even wear a camera. :whistle:

I'm one of those that take's the centre line, but then I am a Motorcyclist and so understand that the open escape lane is safer than a trapped gutter...even if you have to encounter opposing traffic along the route.

At the end of the day passing traffic is dangeraous whichever side you travel. Best to choose a line you are confident in using.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I hope to finally get around to getting my video (and a couple of other submitted videos) up tonight. Then its time see what they tell us. I think there is a story there. :smile:

Thomk

Guru

Well this is exactly what I did in my video

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC1GzYNyOY8
at about 8:15 and had a potentially dangerous incident at about 8:25. What would you have done? Waited in the queue? Filtered along the kerb? Rode/walked on the pavement?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
With that length of queue I would filter along the kerb. Safer than towards oncoming traffic, especially when you have a right turn lane alongside you. The driver who caused the problem at 8.23 is unlikely to have turned her wheels to the left.

Thomk

Guru
With that length of queue I would filter along the kerb. Safer than towards oncoming traffic, especially when you have a right turn lane alongside you. The driver who caused the problem at 8.23 is unlikely to have turned her wheels to the left.
If you look closely you will see that you wouldn't have got passed the second car in the queue and about 50% of the other cars as they were too close to the kerb. There wasn't a right turn beside me, it is a driveway.

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Well this is exactly what I did in my video http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vC1GzYNyOY8 at about 8:15 and had a potentially dangerous incident at about 8:25. What would you have done? Waited in the queue? Filtered along the kerb? Rode/walked on the pavement?

Given the position of the cars at the start of that queue I'd have done pretty much what you did except maybe slowed up a bit when I spotted the right turning car to try and confirm she had seen me (you may have done this, couldn't make out on the video!).

As JJ said I prefer to have more options for escape and given the choice between trying to ride up the left between kerb and wing mirrors or down the relatively clear right side I'd take the RHS each time. It's not a case of riding like a maniac towards oncoming traffic in some weird game of chicken you just have to read the road ahead as you would normally so to avoid meeting oncoming cars at pinch points.

Thomk

Guru
Given the position of the cars at the start of that queue I'd have done pretty much what you did except maybe slowed up a bit when I spotted the right turning car to try and confirm she had seen me (you may have done this, couldn't make out on the video!).

As JJ said I prefer to have more options for escape and given the choice between trying to ride up the left between kerb and wing mirrors or down the relatively clear right side I'd take the RHS each time. It's not a case of riding like a maniac towards oncoming traffic in some weird game of chicken you just have to read the road ahead as you would normally so to avoid meeting oncoming cars at pinch points.

I slowed right down when I started to filter and was going very very slowly. I spotted the car angled suspiciously to the right quite early but it was not indicating so I just kept an eye on it. She indicated, started to move the wheel and started to move forward almost simultaneously when I was almost on top of it. I had spotted that the window was open before shouting at her.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I also prefer the right side, depending on the situation. I think drivers are generally more likely to suddenly pull left without looking than pull right.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

You are much better off filtering on the right hand side than on the left. Drivers will more often leave space and are expectant of other road users there due to motorbikes.
You will still get similar issues with left hooks as you will with right when filtering, it's just a matter of reading the traffic position and thinking about what might happen.

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdxcydnVQk8[/media]

Well this is exactly what I did in my video http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vC1GzYNyOY8 at about 8:15 and had a potentially dangerous incident at about 8:25. What would you have done? Waited in the queue? Filtered along the kerb? Rode/walked on the pavement?
I would have filtered on the outside taking care for numpty/nasty drivers who don't check mirrors/indicate/like to intimidate cyclists!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

57! Yes 57 video are now up on the Cycle Video Day website. :biggrin:

That includes my own video from the day. It's titled The good, the bad and the ugly.

Don't watch until the end, unless you have a strong constitution!!!

Jezston

Über Member
Ugh, still haven't uploaded mine yet!

Spent ages editing and doing sped up sections - then it takes about 2 hours to render, and each time I've done it I've noticed something wrong with it. I think Vegas is trying to change the frame rate as every render I do seems to have loads of ghosting and weird motion blur on everything.

I shall sort by the weekend!

Top Bottom