Calling all Jocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I make no apologies for posting this - it's McGlashan from Absolutely - he has me in stitches!!! :laugh:

[QUOTE 2056069, member: 1314"]Why (see bold)? And why a return ticket? I'm intrigued. What was your white mate doing in Richmond?[/quote]

Im my experience, travelling whilst not being in control of ymind and actions isn't advisable: the same goes for being pissed. Too easy to lose your luggage/money/passport etc. and that's before someone helps themselves to your stuff if you appear to be an easy target.

Return ticket was due to the fact that I flew from London to Washington DC and back from Philadelphia and needed to meet a girl in DC after I'd been to Richmond.

My white mate (an American) lived there.

[QUOTE 2056069, member: 1314"]Why (see bold)? And why a return ticket? I'm intrigued. What was your white mate doing in Richmond?[/quote]

In my experience, travelling whilst not being in control of your mind and actions isn't advisable: the same goes for being drunk. Too easy to lose your luggage/money/passport etc. and that's before someone helps themselves to your stuff if you appear to be an easy target.

Return ticket was due to the fact that I flew from London to Washington DC and back from Philadelphia and needed to meet a girl in DC after I'd been to Richmond.

My white mate (an American) lived there.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
In certain parts of Europe, my Scottish accent has been mistaken for German. In the US, I've been mistaken for a Texan and an Irishman!

The reception I get certainly changes when I explain I'm Scottish. Much friendlier & more welcoming.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 2055254, member: 9609"]The tory party thinks England ends at Hadrian's wall and the SNP thinks Scotland begins at Edinburgh - I'm quite happy to live on the border and wave neither flag.[/quote]If it makes you feel any better, my part of the world gets similar treatment. Many people (and I suspect this includes officialdom) seem to think that Wales starts at the end of the M54 but if I go into Wales I've received the cold shoulder coz I'm English.

The look of shock on the faces of a couple of my customers when I explained to them that they weren't in Wales still amuses me.

A quick poll among the staff at Ch. Syrphe shows that most of them think Scotland is to England as Brittany is to Aquitaine, if English isn't your native language a Scotch accent doesn't sound different to an English accent, (but a North American sounds like a duck quacking).

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Donkeys years ago on holiday in the former Yugoslavia my mates and I had a run in with a local who accused us of being "Eenglish" He didn't understand the word Scotland, but calmed down when we said "Kenny Dalgleish!"

Top Bottom