Calling all Jocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
This is a question for all the Scottish peeps on cycle chat....when you are abroad on foreign shores and are mistaken to be from a country to the south and once you make it clear that you are Scottish are you treated more favourably?

Cheshire Celt

Legend
I have never had any one think I am English

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, but I didn't I didn't rise to it and give the stupid Irish twat the satisfaction, he knew FINE WELL who I was, and if he didn't then I must have met one of Father Dougall's relatives, the fekin' eejit!

Sorry, but he really was an a*se.

The problem was that it was on a train and I'm sure the other passengers were wondering why I wasn't responding to him calling me En*lish. My accent is a bit of a giveaway you see.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
When I am abroad
This is a question for all the Scottish peeps on cycle chat....when you are abroad on foreign shores and are mistaken to be from a country to the south and once you make it clear that you are Scottish are you treated more favourably?

When I am abroad on foreign shores, mainly in France I find it advantageous to make it clear to the French that I am English and not North African.

On French campsites amongst belligerent English tourists I find that pretending to be a French only speaking North African buys me peace and quiet and freedom from translation requests.

The Dutch invariably adopt me as one of their own after a tour through their ex-colonies in an attempt to pin down my ethnicity.

I cause havoc and confusion everywhere when I sport my Black Watch kilt and attempt to drink bars dry.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 2055115, member: 259"]
PS am I allowed to post in this thread as I'm only a quarter Scot? :ohmy:[/quote]

I'm sure you are allowed.

So are Yorkshiremen and women who are Scots with the generosity squeezed out.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
I have never had any one think I am English

lucky you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
[QUOTE 2055115, member: 259"]French people very often bundle us all together and call us les anglais or les anglo-saxons.

It must really annoy the Scots to be associated with the lowly sassenachs and the Welsh with the saeson!

PS am I allowed to post in this thread as I'm only a quarter Scot? :ohmy:[/quote]

Aye in ye come

byegad

Legendary Member
Sadly the French and pretty much every other continental have difficulty differentiating between England and The United Kingdom. The French for England, Angleterre, gets applied to everyone this side of the Channel. I even have a French Rugby World cup T-shirt with the flags of the various nations, Wales and Scotland have their own flags. Angleterre has the Union Flag! I tried to explain to the seller that England had a different flag when it was playing asa team and he couldn't get it. I even drew a map with the borders in and the names for all the countries. Of course the Irish situation in Rugby Union didn't help, but he really didn't get the fact that England was a different country from The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I assume this means that Welsh and Scottish people get incorrectly labelled as English. This even though some French people do know that the Royaume-Uni exists.

[QUOTE 2055703, member: 1314"]Robbie Coltrane told a story about when he went into a Black bar in Harlem by himself back in the early 90s and was given stares and comments by the locals.

"It's ok" he told them "I'm Scottish. We're different from all the other white people." And was able to stay there all night.

Locals obviously hadn't read Irvine Welsh's history of the Scots Highlanders in 19thC America. :smile:[/quote]

S'funny, 'similar' thing happened to me.

I was taking a Greyhound Bus from Washington DC to Richmond in the early 90s and asked for a return ticket, and the (black) driver looked at me and asked if I was on the 'right' bus. I replied, yes, I was, as my mate lives in Richmond. I asked him why and he indicated with his head down into the bus where 50 black faces were staring at me.

I found a spare seat near the back of the bus, where an atmosphere was very noticeable.

After a few minutes, my neighbour asked me if my 'mate' in Richmond was black or white. I replied white, but I spoke with a proper/Queens English. Someone else said that I wasn't American: where was I from?

Once I said England, there was almost a huge collective sigh of relief on the bus and the journey down was a wonderful experience for me, as most of these people admitted that they didn't associate with white people (for obvious reasons). I was given food and drink, turned down a joint, and arrived in Richmond a few hours later enriched from the experience.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I can't remember ever being accused of being English, although my father is, but I'm quite often asked if I'm Irish despite having a strong Glaswegian accent.

Top Bottom