Calling all 'Modernists'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

Christmas is probably not the time to be asking this question as most people's attention is elsewhere.
BUT, is there anyone on the Forum intersested in what is colloquially known as 'Modern Jazz'.
There are so few of us in the country, I thought it worth a try on the Forum as I consider that there's a link between MJ and cycling!:becool:
Come on, own up, tell me your dirty secret!!!:biggrin::becool:

tumbleweed.......................................

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It's all new and exciting for me.

I've recently got into jazz as Mrs P had an Ornette Coleman album (Twins) that I dug out and listened to, started borrowing jazz stuff from the library after that. Since then I've been listening to plenty Coleman and Coltrane, recently got some Albert Ayler stuff. I thought it was all pretty wild when I first started listening to it, but it's starting to make a lot more sense now; i'm becoming aware of the underlying structures. Except where it comes to stuff like "Free Jazz" and "Ascension". That'll take some work.

Got a lot to discover. Later in the week I think I'll go to London and buy myself a few presents. Tips gratefully recieved.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I like a lot of jazz from 40s, 50s and 60s. None of your expeimental 'free jazz' mullarkey, which is just noise, but tuneful, soulful funky stuff, plus yer hard bop. Moder Jazz Quartet, Art Blakey, Thelonius Monk, early Miles Davis, etc.

SamNichols

It depends what is meant by Modern really, I myself don't like free jazz particularly either, but there are some great contemporary players e.g. The Brecker Brothers (RIP Michael), quite like some Pat Metheny (although some is god awful), Soweto Kinch, Branford Marsalis, Dennis Chambers' band, Keith Jarrett, ESO, Jan Garbarek. Some great stuff, but bitches brew era Davis is bloody horrible.

OP
OP
G

girofan

So there is a link! I thought so. Anyone care to give their opinion as to what the link may be?
As for my taste, I like in no particular order: John Coltrane, Lee Morgan, Charles Mingus, Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, Jane Monheit, Jimmy Smith, Georgie Fame.
Who do you prefer and why?

SamNichols

Cheddar George said:
" You're supposed to listen to the notes they're not playing !!"
Lisa Simpson

I do believe that Miles Davis was the first person to elicit that sentiment.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
a friend has given me a memory stick with 40 jazz albums on it - Miles Davis in particular. I haven't decided whether to download it or not yet! I listen to Ben Webster, Stan Getz kind of stuff which is easier on the ear than some of the MJ.

Top Bottom