Calling all roadies.....what pedals are you using?

Which pedals are you using on your road bike?

• SPD SL

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Speedplays

• Crank Bros

• Time or Look

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
they are Four-sided, BUT due to the platform they will only engage on two sides. but the clamping mechanism rotates with the two sides, so it would still engage on four sides.

Not sure that makes any sense at all :0

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Steve Austin said:
they are Four-sided, BUT due to the platform they will only engage on two sides. but the clamping mechanism rotates with the two sides, so it would still engage on four sides.

No ;).
I think they look a little flimsey for me.

From what I've seen it's speedplays (for the double sided entry) or the Looks (light and reasonably priced).:smile:

bonj2

Steve Austin said:

yes it does make sense... (sort of) IF the eggbeaters had a platform...
aren't the ones with a platform called 'mallets'?

mondobongo

Über Member
Mallet is their really heavy duty offering they also do the Candy which I have used and really liked and the latest one is the Acid. The road pedal Quattro could tempt me in the future.

Fiona N

Veteran
mondobongo said:
Mallet is their really heavy duty offering they also do the Candy which I have used and really liked and the latest one is the Acid. The road pedal Quattro could tempt me in the future.

On my Speedmachine I've got Quattros having been very impressed wth Candys on both the Windcheetah and mtb. The Quattros are great pedals which (with a bit of surgery to the knobbles on the crank side of the soles) allow me to use mtb shoes which I need on the Speedmachine to make sure I remain upright when stopped.
Previously, I've used Looks and Speedplay (X2) on upright road bikes and got on well with them. I liked the general ease of use with the Looks and the fantastic float on the X2s (even if I occasionally had problems getting out of them in a hurry). But the cleats for these pedals mean my feel skate around too much on tarmac for what I consider practical use with the 'bent.

wafflycat

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
You young'un is a little bit fast if I remember correctly Wafflycat??

He's certainly working on it. Hoping for a better time trial season this year than last. Last year he had two bad bike crashes, one of which left him with a broken shoulderblade. Both left him with acres of roadrash and bad soft tissue injuries to his hips. The injuries that have taken the longest to get over are the soft tissue damage to the hips - he's had real problems with those. The main thing is - he got back on the bike and is working at it and *most importantly* he's enjoying his cycling.

wafflycat

Tim Bennet. said:
This is fighting talk to Mrs TB.

My offspring...

CSC clothing of various types and years...
2 x Cervélo Soloists (one set up as his TT bike, one set up as road bike)
Bell Sweep R lid in CSC colours
CSC pedals on his Cervélo bikes
CSC hat given to him by CSC team member
Carlos Sastre's drink bottle from TdF 2006 given to him by Carlos..
The offspring's birthday cake for his 18th...
Nathansbirthdaycake003.jpg

autograph005.jpg

CSCnewmember.jpg

I could go on.. and on...

Of one thing I am grateful; my son was never into 'school sports' but watching the TdF 2003 got him interested in cycling and Team CSC. He's watched that team ever since. He's kept cycling ever since and he thoroughly enjoys cycling, time trials in particular. In that sense I'm grateful that he's developed an interest that has kept him fit and active when so many of his age have stayed inside playing computer games and doing little, if any, exercise. Pro-cycling indeed has its problems, but I've seen a huge positive from it in a very personal and good way (as opposed to the 'usual' type of positive we don't want!)

Mac66

Shimano 105s currently, but veering towards Time RXS at next renewal.

As for Speedplay, I saw a review that said they wore quickly, so this put me off trying them.

bonj2

i dont' like the look of speedplay. imho the mechanism should be on the pedal, not the foot.

jashburnham

Mac66 said:
Shimano 105s currently, but veering towards Time RXS at next renewal.

As for Speedplay, I saw a review that said they wore quickly, so this put me off trying them.

Mine have been very hard wearing... the cleat is mostly metal so wears far less quickly than SPD-L plastic cleats do. They've been a revelation for me.

Top Bottom